abs tone ring removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > abs tone ring removal?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
rdrbssr11
1995 ZJ 

abs tone ring removal?

when i had my super 35 kit installed, the shop skipped over swapping the abs tone rings. i noticed that immediately because my abs light was on when i got in my jeep. i asked what the deal was and he said getting the old tone rigs off my original axles is next to impossible because they tend to crack when trying to be removed. he said he could try to remove them, but if they break he will have to get some new ones from the dealer on my account. is it me or does it seem like he's trying to squeeze some money out of me? i thought those tone rings were steel, so if they put the torch ot it before popping them off shouldn't they come off pretty easy? has anyone priced these rings before new?

Unread 11-22-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Call up Randy's Ring & Pinion - I am nearly positive they sell them.
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
goodolboy71

the shop people are just lazy bastids then.....i have never had 1 crack on me on the 11x billion sets we have swapped out for folks....it seems when TJ guys get spares they usually get non ABS ones from a cherokee ,etc, all i have ever had to do was heat the ring with a propane torch, then tap it off a little with a hammer an it will fall right off, heat it a little more and tap it onto the new shaft

74 CJ5- total restoration from ground up, 3 spd, 304 V8, 32's
goodolboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

just use any bearing puller. No torch needed

zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

I had a machine shop pull mine, hone them to fit the new outers, and press them on for $50 each, no fuss. Might want to try a different shop.
Unread 11-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Old tone ring should go on new axle shafts without any modification.

Just remove them from old shafts, wire brush them good (they will look like new) and press them on.

You can use 2" PVC pipe to get the tone rings started (about half way)

than finish seating them with an aluminum punch

zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I broke mine in half attempting to pull it off when I broke the shaft awhile back. Of course we didn't have a shop and nice tools. We were in a creek bed. Instead of ordering a new tone ring, I disabled the ABS. No problems or worries since.

My braking distances have shortened as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.