ABS\tone ring question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS\tone ring question

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-25-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

ABS\tone ring question

We're just about done putting a Ford 9" front on my '04 WJ and I came across a minor issue. The wheel hubs are from a TJ and the ABS tone ring from my WJ hubs is ~ 30\1000 smaller inside diameter (ie don't fit). I could have these machined to fit, but I was wondering if anybody here has dealt with a similar situation and if so, what they did. I could always get a set of tone rings from a TJ, but I don't know if the tooth spacing is the same, or if that even matters.

I've heard of a lot of people disabling the ABS on ZJ's and preferring it that way- what are people's thoughts on just disabling it on the WJ? If I do that, I know the simplest way is simply pulling the ABS fuse, but will that leave the ABS warning light illuminated on the dash all the time? I heard of someone using a resistor somewhere in the system to trick the ABS computer into thinking the sensors were working- has anyone heard of this?

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on the matter.
Thanks!

Unread 10-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This may not work on a WJ but on my TJ, I found two ABS relays inside the PDC (Power Distribution Center) inside the engine compartment. It's a small box with relays and fuses inside. Pulling both ABS relays completely disabled my ABS system and the ABS light after installing a Dana 44 in the rear that didn't support ABS.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

I know right where you're talking about, I'll try it. How did you like your TJ w\o ABS?
Unread 10-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist
I know right where you're talking about, I'll try it. How did you like your TJ w\o ABS?
I think ABS fuse will do the trick with the light as well. Is it your DD? If not, don't worry about ABS.
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
ZJ_COWBOY
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
I think ABS fuse will do the trick with the light as well. Is it your DD? If not, don't worry about ABS.
Even if it is you can still run with out ABS. I have for 2 years and no major problems. It is quite easy to lock up on dirt roads tho (Can we say BRAKE CHECK?). As long as you know how to control a skid, youll be fine.

2001 Neon getting 30 MPG w00t!
94 ZJ $200 Project.
ZJ_COWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.