ABS relay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS relay

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
4x4JeepinZj
1997 ZJ 

ABS relay

Okay I searched and cant find anything, I would look in the manual for the heep but its for a 96 and i have a 97. The ABS light is on and i want to check every thing and was looking in the power distrobution center and under the lid where it has what the relays are for it does not say anything about an abs relay is located somewhere else? I would like to try and solve this with out takeing it some where funds are tight I realy dont want to take it to a shop.

[CENTER]Thrush Glasspack[/CENTER]
4x4JeepinZj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeepinZj View Post
Okay I searched and cant find anything, I would look in the manual for the heep but its for a 96 and i have a 97. The ABS light is on and i want to check every thing and was looking in the power distrobution center and under the lid where it has what the relays are for it does not say anything about an abs relay is located somewhere else? I would like to try and solve this with out takeing it some where funds are tight I realy dont want to take it to a shop.
starting from 97, there's no external ABS relay. They are inside of the control unit. I have the 97 FSM, it still says there is an ABS relay, but it's not there. I guess they forgot to update this part of the manual.
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
4x4JeepinZj
1997 ZJ 

I guess I'm S.O.L then just gonna replace the module and go from there
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeepinZj View Post
I guess I'm S.O.L then just gonna replace the module and go from there
I highly doubt it's your module. They rarely fail, although you'll read otherwise. I'd suggest taking your Jeep to a dealer or a place that can read ABS codes. A regular OBDII scanner will bot be able to read ABS codes. So forget Autozone, etc. Ask them to read the codes, they'll probably charge ~$100 for this. You'll know where to start looking for the issue.

You can do very rough diagnosis yourself. When you start your Jeep, the ABS light (and other lights) should come on, but after ~30 sec everything should go off. If the ABS light stays on, you have a hard fault (bad connection, broken wire). If the light goes off, but come on again when you reach ~15mph, it can be dirty sensors or a problem with the ABS pump.
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
baxy

ya check fuses , check wiring at the wheels for road damage , start with the basics that you can easily check
even low brake fluid may put the light on
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

There're 2 common issues with these ABS systems (besides the obvious things like torn wires from off-roading):

1) the 12V wires supplying power to the ABS controller and pump develop a bad connection somewhere in the Power Distribution Center. These are 2 thicker red wires going to the ABS controller. You need to check the resistance of these to make sure they are good. Simply checking the presence of 12V is NOT good enough.

2) The pins in the ABS connector/module loose (springiness) contact. The best solution I found is to solder the male contacts (of the ABS module) to make them fatter. You have to be GOOD at soldering!!! You have to cover the whole length of the pins UNIFORMLY!!!

I keep planning to do a write-up on this, just not enough time.

Get the 98 FSM in electronic format, this will have the right info for your ABS system. If you don't know where to get it, PM me. You CAN fix this yourself, but it's time consuming and you have to be good with a digital multimeter, soldering, etc.
Unread 03-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Note for others: this info only applies to 96+ ABS modules. 93-95 Jeeps don't have these issues.
Unread 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
4x4JeepinZj
1997 ZJ 

Well if it quits raining I'll check the wiring and connections, thanks for all the help guys
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Ok I have this problem in my 1997 ZJ Laredo 4x4 V8...

Can someone explain to me in plain English for dummies what I need to do? My ABS light stays on and the car does not stutter when breaking in sand/snow like I would think ABS would. Can I just buy a new relay or send mine in to get repaired somewhere? Where can I send it in? Does someone have a photo of where exactly this device is located in the engine bay?

Does this video explain the problem in my Jeep or not?
webhostingdesig is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.