ABS on No Anti-Lock Action - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS on No Anti-Lock Action

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 12-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
acemechanic
1993 FSJ Cherokee 

ABS on No Anti-Lock Action

abs light on , anti-lock brakes not working

my 18 year old kid just got this Grand Cherokee, its in good shape

i would feel better if the abs did work

also the right rear wheel is locking up under medium braking on snow packed roads

haven't checked yet, but i would guess it's either brake fluid or a axle seal is leaking onto the shoes and drum

cycled the key and checked for codes, just got the 5/5 so i guess there's nothing stored in the computer

any suggestions for getting the abs working?

acemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Cant pull ABS codes with key.
Is light on as soon as it's cranked or does it come on after it is rolling?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
acemechanic
1993 FSJ Cherokee 

abs on right away ( according to my kid) , i'll check for sure tomorrow
Unread 12-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

You can disconnect the battery, reconnect, then start it and see if the light comes on right away befor rolling. If so, problem with voltage to controller or controller itself.

If it doesnt come on until it rolls, suspect wheel sensor.

It's easy enough to check the tone rings for obstructions/damage and clean the pickups at each wheel. I'd start at the one that's grabbing.

BTW, the sensors are gapped so clean them on the vehicle unless you can set them back to where the were.
Unread 12-28-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
acemechanic
1993 FSJ Cherokee 

light does come on right away.

disconnected the battery, reconnected , turn key to run position, light came on.

started the engine let idle, it stayed on.

you believe its in the controller?

thats the module tied into the mastercylinder?

options are to send in for repairs, or if we decide not to, there is a fuse that can be pulled to disable the abs system?

thanks
Unread 12-28-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

What year Grand is it??
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
acemechanic
1993 FSJ Cherokee 

its a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Start with the fuse first, check it, maybe the PO pulled it out to disable the system.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
nlynd1978
2001 WJ 

Clean the sensors and check the wiring as well. They could be dirty and/or damaged causing the light to come on.

Also i would not disable the system on purpose. As i learned this watching a friend deal with it. He disabled the abs on his car so he could race the car (he was also learning to drift). He got into an accident. Insurance company inspected the car, and found the ABS disabled. They refused his claim. Hes paying for a car he doesn't have any more cause of it. Mind you his accident was not from racing. Rear ended some one last winter in the snow due to loss of control when he locked his brakes on the icy road. Totaled his car and the other persons with both of them in the hospital.

Also a working ABS and SRS system are great insurance discounts, being as insurance for and 18 yo kid is expensive.

Looking for help- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/completely-turns-off-while-driving-no-codes-1049268/
nlynd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.