ABS module repair with pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS module repair with pics

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I thought you were paying me back for poking at you about buying a scan tool.

The light has been on about 4 years. I'll keep tinkering with it until i figure it out.

ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

Is there a service that will do the resoldering for a fee and ship it back to you?
webhostingdesig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #18
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Can someone help me, I'm in a bind. I removed my ABS mobile and cut it open to fix the problem. And yea it was the solder joint. Problem is my screw driver slipped when I was trying to pry it open and broke this component on the circuit board. It knocked the cover straight off of whatever it is. That's the problem I have no idea what it is. If anyone knows what it is or can read me the information off theirs that would help me a lot.

I think it was a relay of some sort.

Unread 10-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #19
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the board is broken (unrepairable IMO) so bet thing to do would be punt.

try your luck in the junkyard

Edit: nevermind
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #20
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

on second zoomed in look, that appears to be the edge of the conformal coating. And it looks like a solder joint is broken on whatever that is is the upper left hand corner
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #21
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

That sure looks like the base of a surface mount relay. What happened to the rest of it? Any numbers or markings on the broken part? You can usually find those parts online but some of the old electronics are out of production.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i was going to guess a rectifier but idk

if you can figure it out, you need to fix this
brokenlead.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

and maybe these too
brokenlead.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #24
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I think he was talking about this. Just looking at the video in the original post it had a black cover with markings but the video quality isn't good enough to make it out. Can't find any better pictures of it googling. Without that part your looking at a junkyard module anyway.
img_20141010_190915.jpg

Unread 10-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #25
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
I think he was talking about this. Just looking at the video in the original post it had a black cover with markings but the video quality isn't good enough to make it out. Can't find any better pictures of it googling. Without that part your looking at a junkyard module anyway.
Yep, that's the thing I'm talking about. I was able to find a video of someone holding it with their hands but I can't make it out. Tried talking to someone from Digikey and the photo is too terrible for them. Plus they kept hampering me about how I'd never get it off, even though I already did. Tin foil surrounding the area and a heatgun on it for 30 seconds allowed me to pull it off. But I still need a replacement.
thing.jpg

Unread 10-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #26
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the area with the component removed.

Unread 10-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

HURRAY! I found the plastic cover for it. It was sitting in the dirt at night so I must have gotten lucky.

*UPDATE*

Digikey person thinks it's a crystal or an oscillator with a frequency of 15.9MHz but they don't have it, and it's a guess. He maybe onto something cause the underneath looks like this.

Unread 10-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #28
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

That's some good detective work duke. Too bad DigiKey didn't have any, they are my first source for electric parts. Just googling 15.9 mhz oscillator came up with a few hits but not on any websites I can recommend.
Unread 10-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #29
Dukenukemx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, but next is to try a forum like badcaps.net. These ABS modules cost $100 or more, so a $5 part seems worth trying. I'll see what local junk yards want for them tomorrow.
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #30
rjfjr
1997 ZJ 

Really helpful thread, thanks for starting and the ongoing contributions. I've confirmed my pump is still good and have removed the module (ATE pn 56027931) which looks just like the one in the video on the inside....i just can't tell what to do next. The solder points on the power and 4 pump pins don't look cracked or bad. I'm not getting any audio on the video, so can't tell if i'm supposed to scrape them and then resolder or what....any advice greatly appreciated. Should I be able to see an obvious fault on the board?

RJ
rjfjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.