ABS module repair with pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS module repair with pics

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

ABS module repair with pics

I know most of the jeep forum hate ABS but I like to have stuff thats supposed to work working. This project has been lurking for a long time and I knocked it out finally. I needed the ABS to work because when I rip the steering and suspension out to replace them{brakes included} I need to be able to use the DRB to bleed the brakes if I get air in the HCU. I had pulled a CAB out of a junkyard ahead of time and resoldered the motor connections on the board as in this video.

First as always disconnect the negative battery terminal. Pull the washer tank and tie it out of the way,2 10mm screws. Pull the airbox,3 13mm screws. This will give you room.

abs-repair-011.jpg

Pull the three nuts that hold the HCU brackett down. The lower stud has two nuts on it. The first holds on the steering box cover,the second one below that holds on the lower leg of the brackett.

abs-repair-014.jpg abs-repair-010.jpgabs-repair-015.jpg

Pull the tab release handle on the main CAB connector towards the firewall. This will unlock the connector and allow you to pull the connector straight up.You may to wiggle it a bit but don't get carried away. It has small pins it is not unlike the pcm pins and too much force will result in loose connections. Also, you may have to use a small screwdriver to gently pry that release handle out all the way. In the upper right hand corner you can see the HCU motor connections. Squeeze the sides of the connector and pull up.

abs-repair-017.jpg

The harness is held on to the body by two of these. Squeeze the ends together and pull them out of the body holes. This will allow you to get the harness somewhat out of your way.

abs-repair-016.jpg

At first I tried to take the 4 4mm screws out that attach the CAB to the HCU without releasing the CAB from the HCU brackett. With a 1/4 drive socket wrench I got 3 of them out.The right rear one was impossible for me to get.Its easier to remove the 3 13mm screws that hold the HCU to its brackett loose, cause it gives you wiggle room to get to that 4th screw. The lines have some spring to them but don't get carried away. Remove the brackett before trying the 4th screw. Tie off the HCU/CAB to support it so its weight doesn't rest on the lines.

abs-repair-020.jpg abs-repair-021.jpg

Pic of three of the 4mm screws that hold on the CAB to the HCU. Do yourself a favor and put a piece of tape over the hole at the bottom of the coil tower. Guess where the 4th screw went? Luckily I had an extra.

abs-repair-019.jpg

It was pretty nasty in there so I broke out the purple power and degreased and painted after masking some stuff off.

abs-repair-025.jpg

Put it all back in and in the next post I'll show you the result.

Unread 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

ABS repair PART TWO

After getting it all back together I plugged in the drb ran the HCU motor and tested for codes. She's good to go. Test drove and I now have ABS again.

abs-repair-001.jpg abs-repair-007.jpg
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Nice!

for sharing the pics and write-up!
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Thanks Korea. I am just the apprentice OBI-WHAN,lol.
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
webhostingdesig
1997 ZJ 

my mechanic says:

"4009-hydraulic pump circuit - there is power to the pump, and when commanded on, it will not run, the motor is shorted/open and needs replaced"

can this be fixed by working/replacing the module or do i need a $1200 pump?
webhostingdesig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

I would give it a shot before going for the big bucks. Just brush up on your soldering skills. Remember the vid is for a specific controller made by Teves, mopar #56027831. Most likely, the two solder joints that connect to the two motor pins on the board are bad. Take your time, a mini hacksaw will seperate the case, dont cut too far. Most recently I used a plastic welder from HF to break the glue bond and maintain more case integrity. I epoxied the case back together when complete and sealed the gap with rtv.
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhostingdesig View Post
my mechanic says:

"4009-hydraulic pump circuit - there is power to the pump, and when commanded on, it will not run, the motor is shorted/open and needs replaced"

can this be fixed by working/replacing the module or do i need a $1200 pump?
Most likely the board rather than the pump.

You can confirm this by disconnecting the two pin connector and applying battery voltage to the pins. If the motor runs when powered up directly, you do not need a motor.

Nice write up btw, I had missed it somehow.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Thanks,Zee!
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Changed out the ABS module this AM. Still have ABS lamp on. Took it out and did some 15 MPH stops so the module could see the sensors, no help.

My old module was giving a pump circuit failure, so I wrung all of those circuits out... all good. Connected pump straight to battery... it ran.

Any ideas besides reading the codes?
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Well damn, sorry Zee. I gave it a shot. As soon as I find a reasonable price on a case I'll send ya the koolaid if you want,lol.
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I'll send ya the koolaid if you want,lol.
LMAO.. touche'
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Today when I was working on it I was pondering the effects of a cracked header on the ABS module. Then I thought about your heat shields. Probably would be a good candidate for a precautionary mod... if the damn thing worked...
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Changed out the ABS module this AM. Still have ABS lamp on. Took it out and did some 15 MPH stops so the module could see the sensors, no help.

My old module was giving a pump circuit failure, so I wrung all of those circuits out... all good. Connected pump straight to battery... it ran.

Any ideas besides reading the codes?
Where did you get the replacement module? Was it re-soldered? If you just got one from the junkyard, it's likely to have the same issue. I know this from experience.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Slow9erHybrid View Post
Was it re-soldered?
Yes it was resoldered. I need to do some more troubleshooting. I may have a spread pin on the connector.

I'm wondering if it the HMU being inactive all this time has anything to do with it.
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

I was serious, but the only one I am seeing at the moment is $ 137.00 which seems steep to me. Mine was dead for over a year, but worked when I installed the resoldered one. I know of another in a local yard that I have to go get a BCM out of to match the PCM I already pulled {unalarmed}. I'll get it and have another go. At my yard they see me so much its cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.