ABS light just comes on? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS light just comes on?

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-01-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
shelter1

ABS light just comes on?

ONly after an hour or so driving on the highway, I'm guessing its getting hot??? After you let it sit and crank it back up no light???

97 4.0

Last edited by shelter1; 06-01-2004 at 08:03 AM..
shelter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
RufftyTuffty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter1
ONly after an hour or so driving on the highway, I'm guessing its getting hot??? After you let it sit and crank it back up no light???

97 4.0
Probably a faulty sensor....you could check the ohm reading for each...if you can do that...or simply get some new sensors and swap them out.

Also, HP hose the ABS tone ring on the inside of the wheel...if you go offroad this gets muddy and will also trip out the ABS system.
Unread 06-02-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
willsellout

I have the same problem..it comes on sometimes..nothing happens..I think it's just sensor problems as my brake lights sometimes stay on after I shut it off as well..I am just gonna replace em when I feel like it..no big deal.

Dan
willsellout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2004, 12:48 AM   #4
DuneCrawler

ABS Light

Hi there, just joined!

I have a '98 Laredo. (only got it 2 months ago).
My ABS light also came on at times. I spoke to the previous owner, and he said it's been doing that for the last 5 years! The dealer replaced the rear sensors twice - no change. They eventually gave up and told him to live with it or sell the car!
This weekend I was determined to find it, so I started from the back working forward with a multi-meter.
Check the connection underneath the rear seat. Two wires each. One black and one red connector. These had a bad connection. To check: Start the car and then handle the wires/connections, you will probably see the light come on. I just opened the connectors and squeezed them a bit closed for a better connection. I did not want to solder them together as I do not know how sensitive the system is.
I hope this works for you.
DuneCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfc
Check the connection underneath the rear seat. Two wires each. One black and one red connector. These had a bad connection.
Photos?

My ABS light used to come and go. Now it is on all of the time. If the problem is this simple, then I will give it a shot. Reconnection of a few wires is not a big deal.

ABS is not that important to me. It is nice to have, but it is not the end of the world if it is defaulting to non-ABS braking. I have not yet locked up the wheels with the ABS light on.

Kent
kentman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.