abs light - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
abs light

... On this New to me 1995 Moss Green ZJ the ABS is staying on all the time. I don't remember what it was we did to them back when I worked at the Jeep & Dodge Stearership ..
.... Also the AIR Bag lamp is on also.. I'm thinking air bag is either a recall or some item in under the steering wheel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Does the ABS light come on at startup and then stay on, or does it come on, go off after a few seconds, and then come back on after you start moving?

If the former, then the system is not passing its self-test. That could be a faulty computer (they develop dry solder joints) or a bad/missing ABS relay, or a broken power/ground wire to the computer.

If the latter, then it's probably a wheel sensor. The computer doesn't start reading the sensors until you reach a minimum speed, which is why the light comes on after you start moving.

In an ideal world you'd use a scan tool to pull the ABS codes (cheap generic scanners usually won't pull Jeep ABS codes), but you can check for continuity and resistance on the sensors (someone else will have to give you the resistance spec, sorry).

The airbag light needs a decent scan tool to diagnose. Again, most consumer-level ones won't do it.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2017, 03:19 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Here is a tested-good ABS controller.

There is a Jeep Teves ABS shop manual that has more information than the vehicle FSM on the ABS.

The DRB II is required to interrogate the system to ID the problem(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
THE ABS & THE AIR Bag lights both stay on after the Jeep is started. . I've just acquired this ZJ 95, V8, 5.2, 4x4 . It's got about 250K on it but It seems nicer than my 6cyl.95 . So I'm trying to bring it back to life. It's been setting for almost 6 years now. I bought it from the Mother of a soldier that had 2 tours in Afghanistan. She said she'd just had the trans overhauled about a year before she gave it to her son. Too the tune of over $3000.00 which to me sounds like it was done at a dealership. So it seems to me like she most likely has done most of her maintains one the Jeep.
. I've got it in my shop cleaning it up & working on it on warm days & nights.
... I live in the country so Yes I've got to drive it a couple of times . I was hoping it'd be something stupid like RUST ON THE ROTORS.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2017, 04:27 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Could just be junk in the tone rings pappit. AVR summed things up well. You probably already know to use caution on tinkering with air bags. Battery disconnected and wait 10 minutes for the capacitors to discharge. I would do this and then check the connections on the air bag controller. I'm not familiar with a 95 so I assume its under the console like later models. Its location lends to crud accumulating around it. Cleaning the connector and module pins sometimes gets rid of the light. Use caution.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.