ABS light on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS light on

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
kemicalburns

ABS light on

My Abs light has come on twice after driving thru an area were the speed limit is 20mph and requires some occasional stops for pedestrians. the first time i stoped down the road and turn the engine off for about 2mins then restarted and the light stayed on till we actually parked for an hour or more. it stayed off till sunday when driving thru the same area. I am not sure if it will stay off because i have not driven it since. would there be a code generated from this. my brakes are pretty new with rotors an calipers. any thoughts?

2.5" exhaust flowmaster
kemicalburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
mr_user

Check for something easy first, like the ABS relay. It is located in the PDC on the passenger side of the motor.

Or you can just do what I did, and disconnect the ABS altogether..A new module is going to run you some big bucks if that's the case.

Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
ExplorerDMB

ABS Modules are indeed expensive. A new module for a BMW we had in the shop one day was around $1,000 uninstalled.

-Drew
Unread 08-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #4
kemicalburns

jive bmw's. i would hope its not that either
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 08-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

You should at least inspect the sensors. During the brake job it is very possible that one of the got bumped and is not exactly aligned with the sprocket.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
rschunk

ABS light on

Yep, had the ABS light on my old '97...stealer said the pump was bad and quoted me $560.00 just for the part. Never did get it fixed and traded for a 2002.

OTOH, I had the same light on my 93' GC after doing some 'mudding'. Figured it was mud so I used the high pressure wash to clean off the rear of the wheel and the connecting parts and the light went off.

I'd check for a bad connection. Don't know if it throws a code as I didn't know how to 'discover codes' then, but it probably does.

Good luck....
ARB bumper with
T-Max 9000# Winch
Optima Yellow
JKS Swaybar Quick Disconnects
30x9 Dunlop Mud Rovers
Rocky Road Rockrails (Great rails, lousy shipping)
GPS Street Pilot
175,000 miles & still going!
93 Green GCL
Green Jeep Club Member #163

My Cherokee Page check out the pictures..

Also a 'Graphite' 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Graphite Jeep Club Member #1
rschunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
kemicalburns

well i drove it yesterday mostly hwy and the light never came back on. so it is probably a loose connection some place. will check it out this weekend
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 08-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
jdpaysnoe

Mine goes on and off all the time. Along with my security light and my check engine light. I have tried to pull codes on all the blinking lights, but their are no codes so I have a feel its just a loose connection somewhere. I think the wiring on my whole Jeep is in shambles, but it still runs well and the thing is a bucket at this point anyways so I dont really care about it.

1994 Black Grand Cherokee w/ Quad
-2" Budget Boost
-31" Pro Comp All-Terrains
-Kevin's Heavy Duty Adjustable Track Bar
-Okie Custom Antenna Mount
-Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer (From Kevin's Offroad)
jdpaysnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
kemicalburns

im gonna stray a little hear, my jeep got broke into last weekend. nothing was stolen but they busted the right rear passenger side wing window . my alarm of course went off when they tried to open the door . what im wondering is why didnt jeep install a blinking light someplace on the 98 5.9ltd. i would bet the jeep wouldnt have even been touched if there was a light letting them know there was an alarm. Since there isnt one how would i go about installing one and have it only come on when the alarm is active?.
thanks
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 08-18-2005, 06:35 PM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemicalburns
im gonna stray a little hear, my jeep got broke into last weekend. nothing was stolen but they busted the right rear passenger side wing window . my alarm of course went off when they tried to open the door . what im wondering is why didnt jeep install a blinking light someplace on the 98 5.9ltd. i would bet the jeep wouldnt have even been touched if there was a light letting them know there was an alarm. Since there isnt one how would i go about installing one and have it only come on when the alarm is active?.
thanks

My security light blinks, but that's only in the dash.

Back to the original question, I think many Jeeps out there have Gremlin's built in that can cause confusion and frustration. My 99 WJ had several, so I got rid of it, interestingly enough, the 94 with tons of miles, has very few if any. HMMM....

Last edited by Woody; 08-18-2005 at 06:54 PM..
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
rschunk

ABS light on

You could always get one of those little blinkers that bike riders wear. Stick it on the dash and turn it on when you get out....cheap fix...
ARB bumper with
T-Max 9000# Winch
Optima Yellow
JKS Swaybar Quick Disconnects
30x9 Dunlop Mud Rovers
Rocky Road Rockrails (Great rails, lousy shipping)
GPS Street Pilot
175,000 miles & still going!
93 Green GCL
Green Jeep Club Member #163

My Cherokee Page check out the pictures..

Also a 'Graphite' 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Graphite Jeep Club Member #1
rschunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
kemicalburns

thought about that. im just suprised mine doesnt have one unless its under the dash cover. never had it off but will look tonight just incase
2.5" exhaust flowmaster
Unread 08-19-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I added a blinking LED to my dash. I got it at radio shack. I power it with two AA batteries.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.