ABS Light - - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ABS Light -

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
jehworks
1996 ZJ 

ABS Light -

I replaced my exhaust manifold this weekend and now my ABS light is one, i've been searching around for solutions - and found that it could be a wheel speed sensor. Does this sound reasonable and how do I replace it?

jehworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

It could be one of the four wheel speed sensors or it could be something else. If you're not going to run diagnostics on it, your guess is as good as anyone's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehworks View Post
I replaced my exhaust manifold this weekend and now my ABS light is one, i've been searching around for solutions - and found that it could be a wheel speed sensor. Does this sound reasonable and how do I replace it?
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
onevision
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, it could also be your ABS chip, which is expensive enough that it's not even worth replacing. Without a DRB scan tool though, it's near impossible to know. Your Jeep dealer should be able to plug in and tell you and not charge you for the diagnostic, since it takes all of five minutes to do.
onevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehworks View Post
The #1 rule of diagnostics in a case like this, (system "A" works, worked on unrelated system "B", now system "A" no longer works), is to go back and look at anything that you may have disturbed while doing your work. 99.99% of the time, you did... coincidences are rare.
Take a look at where the wires come out of the ABS module. Look at the wheel sensors. Maybe the jack stand crushed something, as an example.
Go back over the work you did, and look at any components associated with the ABS that may be nearby, and you will hopefully find the problem.
Unless you live in OZ, the Jeep dealer will do nothing for free.
Good luck.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

There is a 2-wire connector right by the ABS module, or right beside the intake manifold. This connector is for the ABS. I have accidentially unplugged it while working around the intake and a broken motor mounted pulled it apart once too. This is just a guess though since you were right in that area
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
onevision
1998 ZJ 

Man, your Jeep dealer sucks then. I've taken my Jeep to them many times to have them plug their $12,000 DRB scan tool in and tell me the results. They've given me great advice and insight into countless problems and never with a charge, unless I had them do some work.

For me, my ABS light randomly came on after working on the transfer case (so, pretty unrelated). It ended up being that my chip failed, but a replacement was in excess of $800. The dealer later found a place that repairs chips in Washington for around $200, but honestly I could care less about having ABS or not. Still can stop on a dime, and ABS does nothing for ice - at least not the ice I deal with each winter.
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
NightmareTsi
1998 ZJ 

My abs light is on too but I dont really care. Im not much for the abs crap.
NightmareTsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

I had a car one time that the ABS light came on. I drove it for quite a while before I actually thought to look at the fuses. In this particular car there was a fuse under the hood that was blown. It provided power for the ABS. After replacing this fuse my ABS light went out and all was good.

So if your ABS light is on. Check all your fuses first before assuming it is something expensive.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Who needs ABS anyways, better off doing some cool mods like a cold air intake or a fart-can muffler. Maybe even some led tail lights.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
onevision
1998 ZJ 

I agree, can't say I ever noticed better braking when my ABS light wasn't on. I just ended up pulling the light out of the dash, as I was tired of looking at it on and had no intention of buying a new chip.
Unread 08-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Mine started acting up and kicking in all the time, and since it doesn't ever snow or even ice up here, i disabled it, since it isn't all that important to me. If I had to drive on ice at all I'd really want it working.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
KennzX
1998 ZJ 

Just for kicks, check your fluid, if it looks just a little low add abit of fluid, see if that does anything, solved my ABS light.
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
jehworks
1996 ZJ 

ABS Module Fixed

Thanks for the suggestions, turns out it was the cable was disconnected.
jehworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #14
onevision
1998 ZJ 

LOL The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Tags
ABS light , brake , speed sensor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.