ABS control unit, where do I get one that's not $1000 and WORKS? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By StPaul59

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
zace
1998 ZJ 

ABS control unit, where do I get one that's not $1000 and WORKS?

I have replaced my ABS control unit, and regrettably tossed the original unit, with a pulled part. The dealership said the reprogramming did not take. I pulled another part and didn't notice till I was ready to install it that the wired were corroded and awful looking. Then I caught the part numbers on both these parts are NOT the same as the mopar part number listed. The barcode shows 52009047 on the 1st pulled part and P052009240AC when Mopar lists it as
52009047 . Are there different part numbers on different 98 ZJ 4.0L?

I have a 98 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 laredo, I hear its a model later in the year of 98 due to it having some different parts like u-joints on all 4 wheels instead of CV joints.
Where do I get an ABS control unit that works and doesn't cost $1000? and before someone says go without because its an off-road vehicle I want ABS for winter and you know stupid drivers making me slam my brakes in town.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 12:55 PM
monte350
1997 ZJ 

if you are worried about stopping distance, it always feels like the ABS makes the stopping distance longer to me than shorter. but these are my first ABS equipped vehicles.

1995 Cherokee(XJ)-Rolled it
1998 Grand Cherokee(ZJ)-Sold it
1997 Grand Cherokee(ZJ)-DD
post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 05:45 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

ABS isn't about making stopping distances shorter, it's about preventing the brakes locking up during emergency stops and allowing you to maintain steering control.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
A properly functioning ABS system will actually also shorten the stopping distance, apart from locking up brakes on something like a dirt road or heavy snow where the pile-up of sand or snow in front of the tires causes extra friction and reduces stopping distance.

However, as AVR2 mentioned, the primary function of the ABS is to prevent wheel lock-up, which in turn prevents you from spinning around if there's uneven friction under the tires, and to be able to steer.
Not one single person in this planet of earth can modulate standards brakes in a panic- situation well enough to do the job even closely as well as ABS system does.

As for the ABS HCU, your options are to get a new one from Mopar, or hope for good luck with a junkyard unit. I'd look for one from a crashed vehicle.
ABS unit does not need to be programmed to your vehicle, just get one that has the correct part number, install it, and have a jeep dealership do am ABS brake bleed with the DRB3 tool.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #5 of 7 Old 09-26-2017, 03:42 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Looks like the current part number for the ABS module for the 1998 ZJ is 56027931AC. They still show as available with a list price of $1165.00. I could give you a huge discount but if it were me I'd try a reputable Jeep salvage yard. Give the people at jwjeep.com a call.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
zace
1998 ZJ 

Well diving into this mystery of the many part numbers I have found (25094601023 - 56027931AC - P052009240AC) are the ATE part numbers which are stock parts originally on Chrysler Voyager(1998) and my ZJ 98. Apparently I must have pulled a ZJ that was older when I got my first part which is not compatible with 1998. The one I did pull off another ZJ was a 1998 but with the electrical cable practically melting off of it I'm not going to put it on. Ill just go pull a good looking HCU for $70 a pop till I find one that works. I'm kind of limited to this since a $1000 part in NOT an option for me. However the $200 ones I found on the autotekcarparts.com website seem the best pricing I have seen.

Thank you you all for the help.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post

As for the ABS HCU, your options are to get a new one from Mopar, or hope for good luck with a junkyard unit. I'd look for one from a crashed vehicle.
Hopefully the crashed vehicle didn't crash because of the abs unit hehehe!
ROBOTYPHOON and zace like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.