Above 45mph when I take my foot off the brake, it feels like engine braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Above 45mph when I take my foot off the brake, it feels like engine braking

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Above 45mph when I take my foot off the brake, it feels like engine braking

Maybe this has always happened, but in the past couple weeks I've noticed that when I take my foot off the gas and let the Jeep just coast, sometimes, and I mean only sometimes, I feel it quickly engine brake. I've noticed that the rpm's drop to 1000 right when I take my foot off, then jump up to 1300ish. Is it just the speed I'm going and I'm going to get engine braking in OD no matter what I do or is that an indication something is failing?

Thanks in advance!

RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

just going off of your previous post about it not shifting good, check the trans fluid. if its not low, it sounds like you might be adding a new one in. lol
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Sounds like your O/D button has been pressed. If the light right above it is on, then the O/D is OFF, and "Engine Braking" is engaged.
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Gosh I sure hope I don't need a new trans. I'm only at 107k.

The O/D button wasn't pressed.

I want to stress that it is barely noticeable, and when noticeable, lasts only for a second before it goes away.
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

My jeep does that when the computer is "relearning" from having the battery disconnected... Usually goes away after 30 or so miles.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Well I haven't had the battery disconnected in months. So I'm doubting that is the cause. I'm hoping for low fluid, I'll check tomorrow. And yes, I used ATF+4.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Fluid is about dead center in the crosshatched region when checked in neutral on a flat surface after cycling through the gears a few times and warming up the trans, and it's a nice color, doesn't smell burnt, etc. What are the symptoms of the failing sensors that are sometimes replaced by other Jeepers when they drop the trans pan?

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far!
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

On my dipstick it says check in drive. Idk if its different for year models or transmissions or not.
Unread 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltman151 View Post
On my dipstick it says check in drive.
That's just lunacy. Let's put the jeep in gear, then stand right in front of it ...

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post

That's just lunacy. Let's put the jeep in gear, then stand right in front of it ...
Least it Dont say to check while Driving....

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Op, if I'm reading you correctly, there is nothing wrong with your ride. What you are feeling is the torque convertor unlocking when you touch the brake.

When it disengages, it should act like it has shifted into a lower gear.

At cruise, without letting off on the accelerator touch the brake pedal. The RPMs should jump up 100-300.

When coasting down without touching the brake, it should disengage as it passes through 45.

It it didnt do this it would be like stopping a straight shift without depressing the clutch pedal.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltman151 View Post
On my dipstick it says check in drive. Idk if its different for year models or transmissions or not.
i think you may have the wrong dip stick. google the part number that is stamped on the stick and see what it is supposed to fit.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Could be a TPS issue .

Ever clean the TB and IAC ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #14
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Op, if I'm reading you correctly, there is nothing wrong with your ride. What you are feeling is the torque convertor unlocking when you touch the brake.

When it disengages, it should act like it has shifted into a lower gear.

At cruise, without letting off on the accelerator touch the brake pedal. The RPMs should jump up 100-300.

When coasting down without touching the brake, it should disengage as it passes through 45.

It it didnt do this it would be like stopping a straight shift without depressing the clutch pedal.
That's what I was thinking. So when the torque converter engages above 45 mph, it's essentially a fifth gear?
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Could be a TPS issue .

Ever clean the TB and IAC ?
I checked the TPS last winter and it was fine, but it could've gone out by now, I'll check it again. I cleaned the IAC around the same time but I didn't take out the TB and clean it. That's on my list, and I've got a gasket for the TB as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.