About to Seafoam. Questions, and the search function didn't answer them. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > About to Seafoam. Questions, and the search function didn't answer them.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

About to Seafoam. Questions, and the search function didn't answer them.

Hey guys. My 97 ZJ just hit 200k, and I figured it might be a good time to do this.

But my main problem is that any time I search for threads about this (There are MANY) nobody ever seems to be consistent on one answer. So here goes. I already know that 1,/3 bottle goes in oil, and 1/3 in brake booster vacuum hose, that I got. But I have seen posts where people say only put 1/3 bottle in gas tank, and others where it is recommended to dump a whole bottle with a full tank of premium gas.....

Which should be done?

And also, am I going to foul my plugs and O2 sensors? Do they HAVE to be changed afterwards? This seems to be of split opinion as well..... And advice from folks who have successfully done this is appreciated guys. Thanks.

ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
mrclark25
1994 ZJ 

it works much better to poor the 1/3rd that is supposed to go in the brake boosteer directly into the throttle body. just be careful not to stall it.

as for the third that goes in the tank, i always do it when there is about 1/2 a tank left so that it is more concentrated. i did my seafoam treatment with 87 octane, and it ran just fine during the treatment and much better after.

my plugs and my only o2 sensor survived just fine.
mrclark25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

I think the question is how clean do you want to clean your fuel injectors? I think its the potency that makes the bigger difference. I would use 1/3 in a tank that's only a quarter full. Have you replaced your fuel injectors ever? Just be sure to do an oil change within a hundred miles of doing this. o2 sensors should be unaffected.
Unread 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Don't mean to scare yah but I seafoamed 3 days ago and she hasn't been starting since. Idk if it's the MAP, put new plugs in and she only started once. Oil tube isn't clogged like most people say...I'm truely stumped. About to take it in to a shop.
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I slowly pour a half bottle into the throttle body and the other half into the tank. Every time I flush my oil my oil pressure sensor goes out within the next few months so I skip the oil treatment.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRoxxah View Post
Don't mean to scare yah but I seafoamed 3 days ago and she hasn't been starting since. Idk if it's the MAP, put new plugs in and she only started once. Oil tube isn't clogged like most people say...I'm truely stumped. About to take it in to a shop.
Have you cleaned your IAC?
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

Seafoam has its uses, but this is not one of them. Combusting light oil in the cylinders and the converter is not a good idea. Additionally, pouring any sort of fuel system cleaner into the tank isn't a good idea, because it can break up sediment at the bottom of the tank and cirrculate it through the fuel system. Better to just use fuel cleaner dirrectly at the motor with a pressurized system.
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Lots of people have used Seafoam with no damage to the motor, oxygen sensors, or catalytic converter.

If there's sediment in your tank adding cleaner wouldn't stir it up anymore than filling the tank would every week and any sediment that did make it through the screen on the pump would just get caught by the fuel filter. My ZJ has more than 250,000 miles on it and when I replaced the pump a couple years ago there was no visible sediment in the tank.
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

this is why you dont buy gas from the clown gas station
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Yep, this is the same problem with other threads. There appears to be zero consensus. I wanted advice from people who HAVE done it. Not warnings about it from people who have never tried it. lol. Thanks anyway guys, guess I'm just on my own.
ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I've seafoamed my ZJ about four times, my mom's Focus, and my girlfriends Lancer. Zero problems and they all ran better after the seafoam. No check engine lights.
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFLwaffles View Post
Yep, this is the same problem with other threads. There appears to be zero consensus. I wanted advice from people who HAVE done it. Not warnings about it from people who have never tried it. lol. Thanks anyway guys, guess I'm just on my own.
I should have been more specific -

I have done it three times, twice on separate ZJs and once on a Honda. Only problem I ever had was rough idle on one of the ZJs afterward, so I cleaned the IAC, and the idle smoothed out right away.

Basically don't dump in a whole lot of Seafoam into the vacuum hose/throttle body all at once, and you should have no trouble.
Never had any sensor problems, myself.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

I have a question that I can't find the answer too either.
Do I pour the last of the sea foam into the intake then let it die? (When you're pouring the seafoam in, does it cause it to run funny and that's why it dies?)
Or do I use the last of the seafoam to actually stall it out before I let it sit 15 mins?
I don't understand this part

Sent from somewhere
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFLwaffles View Post
Hey guys. My 97 ZJ just hit 200k, and I figured it might be a good time to do this.

But my main problem is that any time I search for threads about this (There are MANY) nobody ever seems to be consistent on one answer. So here goes. I already know that 1,/3 bottle goes in oil, and 1/3 in brake booster vacuum hose, that I got. But I have seen posts where people say only put 1/3 bottle in gas tank, and others where it is recommended to dump a whole bottle with a full tank of premium gas.....

Which should be done?

And also, am I going to foul my plugs and O2 sensors? Do they HAVE to be changed afterwards? This seems to be of split opinion as well..... And advice from folks who have successfully done this is appreciated guys. Thanks.

Is there actualy any problem with your engine other than its just rolled 200K? Mine has something like 220k and never misses a beat. I am firm believer of performing "Value based" maintenance on my wagon but seaform or any other snake oil solution are not part of that maintenace plan.
There is an old saying from where I come from - "If it ain't broke - keep fixing it till it is" ......
jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
ZJ_This
1997 ZJ 

There's plenty of ways to use seafoam. Where i used to work we would take and entire can of it plus an equal amount of fuel and plumb it into the fuel rail and run the vehicle off of just that to clean the injectors. Where i work now we take induction cleaner, not seafoam but close, and use a special sprayer and spray the entire can into the engine intake while its running 2k-3k rpm. empty can shut off engine let it sit then drive.

Just pick what ever way your comfortable with or just do what the can says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.