About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #46
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
and if youve never done it, swapping it out is a *****, but it would be MUCH faster next time if I ever have to do it again.
I don't have a garage anymore. Just waiting for it to warm up a little. I need to get this cat converter on first. Inspection will be coming up soon and they nickle and dime you to death in this state for registration and DL.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #47
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

So I finally got the PSC box in. It wasn't hard to do at all just cumbersome with only one set of hands. When unbolting the old box I tied it to the frame so it wouldn't fall. When installing the new one I did the same so I could get the bolts started. Get a HD pitman arm puller. I tried the medium sized one and it was garbage. The HD one got the pitman arm off in less than a minute with no fuss. I used a large crescent wrench and a 4 foot pipe with the wrench stuffed into the end for leverage. I didn't even break a sweat. I also drained the PS fluid out of the pump for fresh fluid.

The slop and wandering are totally gone now but as Bananaslug said the steering wheel is a bit heavier. Takes a bit more effort to turn it but nothing bad. Overall a much better feeling when driving.
Bananaslug, I was wondering if you tired messing with the over the top adjustment to loosen the steering up a little? I backed the adjustment bolt off 1/4 turn and there was a slight improvement. I am having a hard time turning the adjustment bolt separate from the lock bolt though so I can't adjust it any more than that or the lock nut will be loose. There isn't enough room for me to get a good grip on the wrenches in there.
I am a little concerned that everything worked right away after the install. I turned turned the wheels back and forth half a dozen times and topped off the pump with fresh fluid and it was working fine after that with no more bubbles in the res. Nothing is usually that easy but I guess I am just paranoid.

Also the number on mine is SG 19387
picture-13.jpg   picture-14.jpg  
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #48
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

When i rebuilt my steering box there was a stiff or heavy feeling to the steering but after about 4k or so of use it went away and now is very easy to turn and the pre loads are still right where they should be. Its just all the new rings and seals breaking in.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #49
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
When i rebuilt my steering box there was a stiff or heavy feeling to the steering but after about 4k or so of use it went away and now is very easy to turn and the pre loads are still right where they should be. Its just all the new rings and seals breaking in.
Cool. I backed off the top nut a little more and it feels really nice now. If it gets looser I'll tighten it back up. I didn't even stop to think that there would be a break in period. Thanks.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #50
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

After a bit of driving and a 40 mile trip I have to say that this is one of if not the best thing I have done to the Jeep so far. The steering feels great, like a new truck.
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #51
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

I didn't mess with mine at all. I didn't mind the steering wheel feeling when pushing the 33s, it felt sturdy. Im glad you like it so much Polka, its one of the expenditures you can feel whereas I usually feel like Im getting bled dry on silly repairs.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.