About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one?

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Darn that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I take it there is no way you can adjust the box without violating the warranty? I haven't had a chance to mess with my PSC yet. It's either been too rainy or too cold or both.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #32
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Yup, its got a 12 month warranty, and adjusting it voids the warranty. Don't get me wrong, its much better than the stock box. But there is play in the steering wheel, before the drive wheels engage, and the steering wheel is tight too. Doesn't return to center by itself either. I'm hoping they will still take it back, and refund me the money, or at least some of it. It honestly just feels like they repainted it and tightened down the adjustment bolt. I think that they will take it back if I explain that there is still play in the steering wheel and I am hoping to try out some other options. I like how PSC boxes are new.
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #33
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by massarosareloud View Post
Yup, its got a 12 month warranty, and adjusting it voids the warranty. Don't get me wrong, its much better than the stock box. But there is play in the steering wheel, before the drive wheels engage, and the steering wheel is tight too. Doesn't return to center by itself either. I'm hoping they will still take it back, and refund me the money, or at least some of it. It honestly just feels like they repainted it and tightened down the adjustment bolt. I think that they will take it back if I explain that there is still play in the steering wheel and I am hoping to try out some other options. I like how PSC boxes are new.
Sounds like the over the top nut is too tight. That's how it feels. You turn the wheel and it stays pointed in that direction.
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Mine will go in whenever I get my Addco sway bar and TREs in the mail. I like Kolak, but man his shipping takes forever sometimes.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #35
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
Mine will go in whenever I get my Addco sway bar and TREs in the mail. I like Kolak, but man his shipping takes forever sometimes.
It's not him per say. It's the venders. Sometimes they ship to him or sometimes he can tell them to ship right to you. Once he gets the goods they go out immediately.
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #36
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

I know Im just impatient
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #37
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I know Im just impatient
Haha well, I'm never too excited about putting new parts on the ZJ. I guess I'm excited about getting it over with.
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #38
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Yup, sounds about right. I am just praying that they will both accept the return, and accept it in a few months when I can swap out the boxes and the temperature isn't in the teens... Doesn't quite suit me to be doing work in an unheated garage right about now...
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

As a quick update to this thread, tried to install the box Saturday night. Pitman arm puller bent, so I couldnt get the arm off. Was past 9PM so I couldnt go buy propane for the torch to heat it up. Didnt have the will power to try again Sunday morning before the Superbowl.

I cant decide if I should get a new puller, some heat, and try again; take the box off and have a shop pull the arm; or put it back together and have a shop install it altogether. Aint nobody got time for this.
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #40
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Ain't nobody got time for this... LMAO!!
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:17 AM   #41
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Get another beefier puller, pull the box, put in vise and try again. Remember tighten puller till you cant then whack the bolt hard a few times with a BFH then tighten some more then whack it again, either it will pop off fast or slip off slowly..... dont give up i had 2 to pull and got both after busting a puller and replacing it also!!!!.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #42
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

It's all done now. Had to get a better puller, give it heat, and whack it to get the pitman arm off.

I'm happy with it so far, with new TREs and a new Addco, it feels really good.
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #43
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
It's all done now. Had to get a better puller, give it heat, and whack it to get the pitman arm off.

I'm happy with it so far, with new TREs and a new Addco, it feels really good.
Mine is still a paper weight. How is the return to center? Any wandering on the highway or loose feeling? My stock steering right now is kind of loose and I need to adjust the wheel as I drive to keep it straight. Was yours like that? Jesus tell me!
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #44
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Mine is still a paper weight. How is the return to center? Any wandering on the highway or loose feeling? My stock steering right now is kind of loose and I need to adjust the wheel as I drive to keep it straight. Was yours like that? Jesus tell me!
The steering is very solid and tight. Mine steering wheel used to feel weightless almost when I turned. Now there is resistance; not too tight though. I didnt pay attention to how well it returned to center, Ill let you know next time I drive it; but I think itll need some help which doesnt bother me because I dont really take my hands off the wheel. But driving down the freeway it was nice and straight with no hands.
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #45
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

and if youve never done it, swapping it out is a *****, but it would be MUCH faster next time if I ever have to do it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.