About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one?

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/garage...sist-3602.html

In my steering gear search, I found this guy on sale. New unit, not reman, and on sale.

My question is, most gear boxes I see for our ZJs are variable ratio. Is it okay for me to bolt up this fixed ratio, or do I need the variable?

Im almost positive Ill be fine with this, but when spending $300 I thought I might as well ask the experts.

Thanks in advance!

bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Its fine. I'm going to order one too!
Technohead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have been waiting for something like this for a while now. Looks like I am busting out the plastic. Too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks for the heads up.

Just placed the order. I am very excited to get this old ragged gear out of there and feel the new awesomeness.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Yeah I pooped a little when I found it on their website haha
Unread 01-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
Yeah I pooped a little when I found it on their website haha
lol wtf

Unread 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Found that myself a few days ago and wondered about the fixed rate..

IIRC a variable ratio will turn the tires faster when it gets closer to the steering stops and away from center?
OverlandZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Variable will turn smoother and faster from what I've read. I'm willing to take the fixed ratio in exchange for a new PSC box.
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Variable will turn smoother and faster from what I've read. I'm willing to take the fixed ratio in exchange for a new PSC box.
Exactly. Won't matter to me because it will be a night and day difference for the better.
Unread 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Sorry Im costing you money Polka!

I just got my KOR box brace in the mail, and ordered the front Addco. So help me god, I will have tight steering!!
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Sorry Im costing you money Polka!

I just got my KOR box brace in the mail, and ordered the front Addco. So help me god, I will have tight steering!!
The addco is nice. I have that one too. It's pretty beefy. I have been thinking about the KOR brace as well. Damn it. My wife is gonna get pissed again hahaha

Something to look out for with the addco bar. The ends are much thicker and with mine it started to gauge metal out of the stock trackbar bracket since I did not have an adj TB and the axle was pushed out to the drivers side. It eventually got stuck beneath it and bent the endlink mount on the axle and destroyed the endlinks themselves. I got the IRO double sheer TB and it solved that. But then at only 2" the corner of the coil perch hit the double sheer bracket when it was stuffed so I had to trim the perch. Jeeze one thing after another.
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

pic of your perch trim?

I got the same problem at 3.5" lift
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
pic of your perch trim?

I got the same problem at 3.5" lift
Damn. Now I have to take my Vicodin laden body outside to get a pick. I damaged my knee horsing around with my buddy who is a former marine. He is about 6' 1" and 270. I am around the same height but 50 lbs lighter. We were both drunk and I asked him to show me some Krav Maga. Last thing I said was " I have a gun!" and stuck my hand out. Next thing I knew I was looking up at the stars lol. I have been hobbling around for about a week now.

It's going to be a few minutes.
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Damn. Now I have to take my Vicodin laden body outside to get a pick. I damaged my knee horsing around with my buddy who is a former marine. He is about 6' 1" and 270. I am around the same height but 50 lbs lighter. We were both drunk and I asked him to show me some Krav Maga. Last thing I said was " I have a gun!" and stuck my hand out. Next thing I knew I was looking up at the stars lol. I have been hobbling around for about a week now.

It's going to be a few minutes.
A real expert would not have hurt you.

No hurry on the pic. I just want to see and hear how you handled it. I'm tired of hearing the sickening thud when I hit a speed hump or a dip.
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
A real expert would not have hurt you.

No hurry on the pic. I just want to see and hear how you handled it. I'm tired of hearing the sickening thud when I hit a speed hump or a dip.
Not only that but it loosened the bolt for the TB and the mount started clunking.

That was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just goes to show that with the power of positive thinking, and drugs, anything is possible. I used a Dremmel and did it twice. Didn't take enough off the first time.
picture-10.jpg  
Unread 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Not only that but it loosened the bolt for the TB and the mount started clunking.

That was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just goes to show that with the power of positive thinking, and drugs, anything is possible. I used a Dremmel.
lol

That happened to me to! I bubbaed the four nuts and haven't heard it since.

I have a dremel. I hammered on it awhile back and it helped...doesn't hit as hard.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.