JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/about-order-psc-steering-box-ordering-right-one-1459990/)

bananaslug 01-06-2013 10:07 PM

About to order PSC steering box, ordering the right one?

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/garage...sist-3602.html

In my steering gear search, I found this guy on sale. New unit, not reman, and on sale.

My question is, most gear boxes I see for our ZJs are variable ratio. Is it okay for me to bolt up this fixed ratio, or do I need the variable?

Im almost positive Ill be fine with this, but when spending $300 I thought I might as well ask the experts.

Thanks in advance!

Technohead 01-07-2013 05:29 AM

Its fine. I'm going to order one too!

PolkaPower 01-07-2013 08:03 AM

I have been waiting for something like this for a while now. Looks like I am busting out the plastic. Too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks for the heads up.

Just placed the order. I am very excited to get this old ragged gear out of there and feel the new awesomeness.

bananaslug 01-07-2013 08:04 AM

Yeah I pooped a little when I found it on their website haha

PolkaPower 01-07-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaslug (Post 14746256)
Yeah I pooped a little when I found it on their website haha

lol wtf:tinfoil:

:rofl:

OverlandZJ 01-07-2013 08:26 AM

Found that myself a few days ago and wondered about the fixed rate..

IIRC a variable ratio will turn the tires faster when it gets closer to the steering stops and away from center?

bananaslug 01-07-2013 09:33 AM

Variable will turn smoother and faster from what I've read. I'm willing to take the fixed ratio in exchange for a new PSC box.

PolkaPower 01-07-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaslug (Post 14746644)
Variable will turn smoother and faster from what I've read. I'm willing to take the fixed ratio in exchange for a new PSC box.

Exactly. Won't matter to me because it will be a night and day difference for the better.

bananaslug 01-07-2013 10:17 AM

Sorry Im costing you money Polka!

I just got my KOR box brace in the mail, and ordered the front Addco. So help me god, I will have tight steering!! :club:

PolkaPower 01-07-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaslug (Post 14746864)
Sorry Im costing you money Polka!

I just got my KOR box brace in the mail, and ordered the front Addco. So help me god, I will have tight steering!! :club:

The addco is nice. I have that one too. It's pretty beefy. I have been thinking about the KOR brace as well. Damn it. My wife is gonna get pissed again hahaha:rofl:

Something to look out for with the addco bar. The ends are much thicker and with mine it started to gauge metal out of the stock trackbar bracket since I did not have an adj TB and the axle was pushed out to the drivers side. It eventually got stuck beneath it and bent the endlink mount on the axle and destroyed the endlinks themselves. I got the IRO double sheer TB and it solved that. But then at only 2" the corner of the coil perch hit the double sheer bracket when it was stuffed so I had to trim the perch. Jeeze one thing after another.

HighLonesome 01-07-2013 11:15 AM

pic of your perch trim?

I got the same problem at 3.5" lift

PolkaPower 01-07-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLonesome (Post 14747256)
pic of your perch trim?

I got the same problem at 3.5" lift

Damn. Now I have to take my Vicodin laden body outside to get a pick. I damaged my knee horsing around with my buddy who is a former marine. He is about 6' 1" and 270. I am around the same height but 50 lbs lighter. We were both drunk and I asked him to show me some Krav Maga. Last thing I said was " I have a gun!" and stuck my hand out. Next thing I knew I was looking up at the stars lol. I have been hobbling around for about a week now. :cheers:

It's going to be a few minutes.

HighLonesome 01-07-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 14747267)
Damn. Now I have to take my Vicodin laden body outside to get a pick. I damaged my knee horsing around with my buddy who is a former marine. He is about 6' 1" and 270. I am around the same height but 50 lbs lighter. We were both drunk and I asked him to show me some Krav Maga. Last thing I said was " I have a gun!" and stuck my hand out. Next thing I knew I was looking up at the stars lol. I have been hobbling around for about a week now. :cheers:

It's going to be a few minutes.

A real expert would not have hurt you. :laugh:

No hurry on the pic. I just want to see and hear how you handled it. I'm tired of hearing the sickening thud when I hit a speed hump or a dip.

PolkaPower 01-07-2013 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLonesome (Post 14747313)
A real expert would not have hurt you. :laugh:

No hurry on the pic. I just want to see and hear how you handled it. I'm tired of hearing the sickening thud when I hit a speed hump or a dip.

Not only that but it loosened the bolt for the TB and the mount started clunking.

That was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just goes to show that with the power of positive thinking, and drugs, anything is possible. I used a Dremmel and did it twice. Didn't take enough off the first time.

HighLonesome 01-07-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 14747356)
Not only that but it loosened the bolt for the TB and the mount started clunking.

That was not as bad as I thought it would be. Just goes to show that with the power of positive thinking, and drugs, anything is possible. I used a Dremmel.

lol

That happened to me to! I bubbaed the four nuts and haven't heard it since.

I have a dremel. I hammered on it awhile back and it helped...doesn't hit as hard.

The time now is 11:32 PM.