Abnormally fluctuating oil pressure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Abnormally fluctuating oil pressure?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

So I'm on my lunch break at work, and was going through a drive thru waiting in line, and I looked at my oil pressure gauge, and it was sitting a hair under 40 psi as it usually does as the engine is warming up. It usually sits at 32psi after its warm. Anyways, I noticed it drop to around 32, then go up and back down. Nothing erratic like if it were a malfunctioning BCM, more steady like if you were to press the gas. But I wasn't, I was idling the whole time. It did it a couple times. Should I be concerned? Maybe I've never witnessed the pressure drop while idling. Most the time I'm moving. Right now it's holding steady at 32 psi idling in the parking lot. Specs are 98 4.0, 215,500 miles. Running new Bosch filter and mobil 1 10w-30. Oil and filter have maybe 800 miles on them.

1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Might be a bad oil pressure sensor....but I dont know.
Mine does that once in a while too. I dont get nervous until it drops below 25....which it never does.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

could be a bad pressure sender.
ive read that if you have 1 psi of oil pressure for every 100 rpm youre in good shape
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

Meh, I won't worry about it then. There's no lights on, the jeeps runs great. Makes a little lifter noise, but what 4.0 doesn't haha
1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.