9er bogging down and dying...now at mechanics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 9er bogging down and dying...now at mechanics

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ View Post
Your muffler guy shorted out your O2 sensor wire somewhere guaranteed. The fuse that is blowing is for the PCM thus, no gauges, not starting ect.....
I was thinking the same thing. When the car comes on, 12V is applied to the heaters on the O2 Sensors. I wonder if he was using a torch, heating up a pipe to the point that it melted the 12V O2 sensor wire to an exhaust pipe or some other ground point. that's the only thing that makes any sense.

You say that you disconnected the downstream O2 sensor and it was still blowing fuses, but he could have melted the wire between the connector and the fuse.

dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellis View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When the car comes on, 12V is applied to the heaters on the O2 Sensors. I wonder if he was using a torch, heating up a pipe to the point that it melted the 12V O2 sensor wire to an exhaust pipe or some other ground point. that's the only thing that makes any sense.

You say that you disconnected the downstream O2 sensor and it was still blowing fuses, but he could have melted the wire between the connector and the fuse.
Thanks guys...I had it towed to a nearby shop, and let him know the symptoms and what went wrong. He cant look at it until Monday...so i will let him know your advice.
Thanks SO much...i'll report back.
brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:

Or could be from the Up stream O2 sensor. You need to go through both wiring harnesses and look for the short. Try to disconnect both and see if it will start.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #19
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ View Post
Or could be from the Up stream O2 sensor. You need to go through both wiring harnesses and look for the short. Try to disconnect both and see if it will start.
OK...will do. Thanks for the help.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #20
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Update

Well...mechanic called me...said it was the wiring harness coming from the transmission to the downstream O2 sensor. Said a pin was broken in the wiring harness, and I need a new one. They are replacing the harness, and making sure it is properly grounded. Guess we'll see tonight if the hesitation and bogging has stopped with the new muffler and cat...if not...I dont know what else to check.
Thanks to ALL who have helped me out...I truly appreciate it.
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Oii... Sounds Expensive. Course, I'm midway thru a Tranny fix on my 94ZJ...
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #22
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
Oii... Sounds Expensive. Course, I'm midway thru a Tranny fix on my 94ZJ...
Yeah...my thoughts exactly!
Good luck with the tranny fix!
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
Well...mechanic called me...said it was the wiring harness coming from the transmission to the downstream O2 sensor. Said a pin was broken in the wiring harness, and I need a new one. They are replacing the harness, and making sure it is properly grounded. Guess we'll see tonight if the hesitation and bogging has stopped with the new muffler and cat...if not...I dont know what else to check.
Thanks to ALL who have helped me out...I truly appreciate it.
So, the muffler shop broke a connector pin in your wiring harness? Who pays for this repair?

Also, why replace the whole harness? I would think that a new connector would be all that would be necessary.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
So, the muffler shop broke a connector pin in your wiring harness? Who pays for this repair?

Also, why replace the whole harness? I would think that a new connector would be all that would be necessary.
I asked the same thing...they said it looked as thought the harness was frayed, and they wanted to be sure to have a permanent fix after all I have been through with this thing dying. The connector is obviously being replaced as well. Who knows...just getting more money out of me is what I think.
As for who pays for this...I am going to be calling the muffler shop and see what they say...I have brought my other Jeeps to them, and they are usually great...must have just messed up this one. Hopefully we can come to an agreement.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.