9er bogging down and dying...now at mechanics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 9er bogging down and dying...now at mechanics

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

9er bogging down and dying...now at mechanics

Hey guys...I finally dropped my 9er off at the mechanics Tuesday evening (this is day 2), because I cant figure out whats going on. Thank you to all that have helped, but my 9er is bogging badly, and intermittently still dying. On my way to the mechanic on Tuesday evening, the Jeep would barely get above 35 before it started to bog down when I hit the gas, and would barely accelerate. I practically had to coast into the shop. My mechanic said it threw a code for a bad coil...but I just replaced the coil and wires (as well as cap and rotor) with Kolaks ignition upgrade. I also replace the plenum gasket, and put in the upgraded injectors. He was unable to get it to cut out, and said during the drivability test...it did not bog down at all, which is extremely surprising since it happens a lot with me.
Is there anything that I can have him check that he may have overlooked... because we are both stumped as to what is going on. He is keeping it today to try to see if he can check on anything else, and reproduce the symptoms.
Thanks SO much for the help...it is truly appreciated.

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
dellis
1998 ZJ 

You wrote in an earlier thread that the intermittent dying was caused by the wire connecting to your coil (you could wiggle it and the problem either occurred or went away). Did you fix that?

You also wrote earlier that your cat needed replacing. Is it clogging? If so, that would cause your power problem ...
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellis View Post
You wrote in an earlier thread that the intermittent dying was caused by the wire connecting to your coil (you could wiggle it and the problem either occurred or went away). Did you fix that?

You also wrote earlier that your cat needed replacing. Is it clogging? If so, that would cause your power problem ...
Thanks for the help...the coil wire (the pigtail harness under the coil going to the original wiring) was replaced with a new one. That managed to keep the Jeep running for a bit, but it didn't fix the issue. I was hoping the dying problems were linked back to that and not the coil itself or some other issue.
The cat does need replacing and will be tomorrow...but it does not seem clogged. I hit it with a mallet, and could not hear anything loose or rattling. I guess we will see tomorrow on my way home if anything has changed with the new cat and muffler. Just out of wanting to know...will a clogged cat cause a bogging down/hesitation issue?
Also...should I have him do a fuel line pressure test if he hasnt done one yet to check to see if I have good pressure or a bad fuel pump? Thats the only thing I did not check, as I dont have a gauge.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
will a clogged cat cause a bogging down/hesitation issue?
Also...should I have him do a fuel line pressure test if he hasnt done one yet to check to see if I have good pressure or a bad fuel pump? Thats the only thing I did not check, as I dont have a gauge.
Yes, a clogged cat will cause bogging and hesitation. Also, a severely clogged fuel filter or (more likely) a failing fuel pump, will cause those issues as well.
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
The cat does need replacing and will be tomorrow...but it does not seem clogged. I hit it with a mallet, and could not hear anything loose or rattling.
The typical symptom of a restricted cat is poor power under load, not rattling ... ye olde intake manifold vacuum test can identify if this is a problem or not.

With a restricted cat, the fine passages through the honeycomb have become clogged with carbon, or (because the engine is running rich or poorly), the cat overheats and internal melting happens. The first picture shows some clogging ... the second one shows melting.

Unread 06-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs69350 View Post
Yes, a clogged cat will cause bogging and hesitation. Also, a severely clogged fuel filter or (more likely) a failing fuel pump, will cause those issues as well.
Thanks for the help...I guess once the cat and muffler are on this afternoon, I'll see if the bogging stops...if not, I'll take a look at the fuel filter and pump.
Thanks again for the info!
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the help...I guess once the cat and muffler are on this afternoon, I'll see if the bogging stops...if not, I'll take a look at the fuel filter and pump.
Thanks again for the info!
The filter and pump are replaced as one unit inside the tank. Get a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and look at the pressure. When the pump went out on my 95 it would stall, hesitate, buck, kind of felt like a bad TPS except for that it would almost stall out went I took turns too sharp.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The filter and pump are replaced as one unit inside the tank. Get a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and look at the pressure. When the pump went out on my 95 it would stall, hesitate, buck, kind of felt like a bad TPS except for that it would almost stall out went I took turns too sharp.
Yeah...thats kinda what mine is doing.
Inside the tank...lovely!
I'll get a fuel pressure gauge and test, and report back.
Thanks a lot!
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Yeah...thats kinda what mine is doing.
Inside the tank...lovely!
I'll get a fuel pressure gauge and test, and report back.
Thanks a lot!
Doing a fuel pump is easy. Drive it until below E then unbolt the two straps/fuel filler tube while you lower the tank with a jack. Replace pump and re install. After the first time you can do in in an hour or less. It's easy.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Doing a fuel pump is easy. Drive it until below E then unbolt the two straps/fuel filler tube while you lower the tank with a jack. Replace pump and re install. After the first time you can do in in an hour or less. It's easy.
Ohh...OK. I'll search for a write up. Thanks man...I appreciate it!
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Unless it's like the pump in the '93 I had... died the morning after I filled the tank. That was fun.... past ZJ memories
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Dead again! :(

Hey guys...got my new cat and muffler on, but my 9er wouldnt start after it was complete.
It kept blowing a 20A fuse under the hood...even by just turning the ignition to the on position would blow it.
We tested it for spark...no spark from the coil. The muffler tech then hooked up a computer code reader...but it couldnt communicate with the Jeep.
None of my gauges work...and the overhead display was just dashes. Radio did work.
We went through about 6 fuses...and even disconnected the rear O2 sensor...fuse still blew.
Any idea what the heck is going on?
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
dellis
1998 ZJ 

All your mechanic did was replace the cat & muffler, and now it is blowing a 20A fuse? That doesn't seem right ... he must have been messing with something else.
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellis View Post
All your mechanic did was replace the cat & muffler, and now it is blowing a 20A fuse? That doesn't seem right ... he must have been messing with something else.
I actually got it back from my mechanic, as he couldn't find anything wrong.
I then took it to the muffler shop this afternoon to get a new cat and muffler put on. Once they were done...it wouldn't start. It would crank...but no start and kept blowing that 20A fuse.
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Your muffler guy shorted out your O2 sensor wire somewhere guaranteed. The fuse that is blowing is for the PCM thus, no gauges, not starting ect.....
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.