99 WJ Transmission or Qudra Drive issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 WJ Transmission or Qudra Drive issue?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

99 WJ Transmission or Qudra Drive issue?

I have a 99 WJ, bought it like 5 or 6 weeks ago. Drove and ran perfect while test driving. About 2 weeks ago i started noticing when i turned sharp or did a u turn it would start jerking and acting like 4 wheel drive does, now it does it more often and even when turning normally...what could this be? probably bad news..the dealer did say they had recently rebuilt the rear end. not really sure what all that includes or if this could be the issue. any help is much appreciated.

thanks

sethfosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Sounds like the rear needs to be looked at again. Was friction modifier added, did they make the required shim adjustments with plasti gage? Lots of questionsd to answer.....

Ask them what exactly did "rebuild" mean? It might have been just an axle seal replaced. (common issue)

If they did the work shortly before you purchased, the work should be warrantied what ever it was.

Can you confirm that the rear wheels are the ones binding? If so, you have a real case to bring it back...and probably a real short time before there's bigger issues. If you wait too long, there may be a case of neglect on your part that could release them from fixing it.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

i would say that the rear wheels are whats binding. its makes a horrible noise. i doubt that they would fix it for free tho..i guess i can take it up there and have them check it out...
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

what about friction modifier? or something like that?
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
99avant

Was this a jeep dealer or what?

If you have quadradrive, you need FM in the F and R diffs. See if they put it in there.

For you I would say, just take it in and have them figure it out. They should pay.

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

nah, it was just a used car dealership
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
99avant

Then I would bet they did not put the FM in there.

It is ~15$ at the dealer, and it takes less than 5minutes to put in...

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

ok, does it matter which transfer case or transmission or anything like that?
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

It might matter. Why don't you say what engine (that would also determine the transmission), and what the emblem on the transfer case shift bezel says? If you really have Quadra-Drive, there will also be an emblem of the lift gate.
Unread 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

i have the regular 4.7V8...the TC says 247
Unread 11-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I asked because the title of your first post said "Qudra Drive" and it wasn't clear (and still not clear) that you have Quadra-Drive. The NV247 could mean that you have Quadra-Trac II or Quadra-Drive. If QD, there should be a "Quadra-Drive" emblem on the transfer case bezel around the shift handle in the cabin. There should also be a "Quadra-Drive" emblem on the lift gate. The difference between QTII and QD is that QTII has open differentials while QD comes with Vari-Loc (a type of limited slip) differentials at the front and rear.

Your sounds could originate in the NV247 and travel to the rear end with either QTII or QD. Since your WJ came from a used car dealer, I would guess that the lube in your NV247 is an ATF of some type. That works for a while, but sooner or later clutch chatter will occur in the NV247. The correct lube is Mopar NV247 transfer case lube found only at a dealership. I suggest that you replace the lube with Mopar lube. Even after that is done, it will probably take a while for the NV247 lube to work its way into the clutch pack so the sounds might not go away immediately.

If you have QD, it's important to know that the differentials need a friction modifier added to the gear lube. Without the FM, clutch chatter is guaranteed to occur. Since you don't know much about the history of your WJ, it wouldn't hurt to go ahead add 4 oz of FM to the rear differential if changing the TC lube doesn't help. You will probably have to remove some of the original lube in order to make room for the FM. As with the TC, it may take a while for the FM to work its way into the clutch pack and quiet things down.

If you have QTII, and if changing the TC lube doesn't help, then there is probably a problem with the rear end.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

yeah it is def the quadra-drive. thanks for all of the help. i think i am going to take it to the jeep dealership to have the TC and diffs serviced
Unread 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Getting the diffs and TC serviced correctly is an excellent idea.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
sethfosho
1999 WJ 

i went and got my diffs and TC serviced. they said that the front diff was dry, the back and the TC looked like they had never been changed. so far so good, seems to be working great. thanks for all of the help!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.