'99 WJ front drive shaft dilemna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '99 WJ front drive shaft dilemna

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

'99 WJ front drive shaft dilemna

My WJ, with 3.5in lift, happens to have a front drive shaft with a CV joint at both the transfer case and front yoke end. A new OEM drive shaft from NAPA is listed at $399. To keep it cheap I went to a local salvage yard in Durham last week and they brought out a drive shaft with a CV on one end and u-joint on the other, saying this should fit. While this didn't match mine, it did get me thinking about possibly using this opportunity to move towards something better.

This Tom Wood setup below, for N247 or N249 t-cases, costs $429.00
Drive shaft: $299
CV conversion at the yoke (front) end: $55
CV conversion at the transfer case: $75
*** This drive shaft assembly places a double cardan joint at the t-case and u-joint up front at the front yoke. As is always possible, you could spend more by moving to having a double cardan joint at both ends, but it's a heavier unit that's also tougher to balance.

I may move to 4in springs rather than a spring/BB combo setup later, but don't foresee doing any heavy off-roading with my primary vehicle. Would I be alright by buying Tom's yoke conversion and just move the CV & U-joint OEM shaft available...which will be a whole lot cheaper...or spending the $400+ for the Tom Woods package above?

The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
dickensheets

Did yours fail in some manner. I'm just curious. I have a thread on here sort of related. I want to know if the joints/boots failed on you.

Ryan
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

My stocker lasted almost a year with a 6" lift. Then got a new one made. 275 bucks well spent.

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...

Last edited by gcjeeping; 11-07-2009 at 05:27 PM..
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

dickensheets - I don't know if I can say that mine 'failed' since I'm not sure when/how the vibration came on. I installed my 3.5in and had been battling DW for over a year, slowly trying this and that. In August, after I had collected all the parts and was ready to replace the ball joints, TRE's, CV drive shafts, and move to a JKS trackbar - I decided to take it for it's first off-road adventure since, heck, if anything broke that it would be replaced the next day anyway. While the wheeling didn't account for much other than navigating a steep gully, some sandy hills, and going over some rocks, I drove away with a noticeable vibration at about 45mh. I didn't come down on anything so can only surmise that the strain wore one or both of the weaker CV drive shaft ends. At that point, however, I wasn't certain where the vibration originated from.

The next day I began replacing the parts mentioned above early morning, but still had that vibration when I went for a test drive afterwards. I pulled back into the shop, removed the driveshaft on a hunch, and the vibration disappeared. Now, I do have an exact replacement lined up from someone parting out their WJ, but think I've come to the conclusion that, while it may be in better condition than mine, that it too would soon fail and I'd be right back where I am now. If a new oem drive shaft costs $399 then going a little over that for something stronger and more dependable is a small price to pay.

QUESTION: Are there any other double cardan alternatives than the custom Tom Wood drive shafts or is that pretty much the industry standard the most settle on?

Last edited by EisBlade; 12-21-2007 at 10:47 AM..
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
99grand4.0
1997 XJ Cherokee 

rustys has one listed on their site as a conversion shafts with u joints and a new yoke, i think it was around 300. worth checking out.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=AXL
99grand4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Redbob
2004 WJ 

Rusty's typically poor photography and poor description SAYS "convert to a double-CV type" driveshaft, but what's shown appears to be a 2 x double-cardan joint shaft, and it's worth reiterating that a double-cardan joint is NOT a "CV" or constant-velocity joint.
It's stronger, size for size, but it is a LITTLE more prone to vibration - a very little.

Any reputable driveline shop should be able to make a conversion shaft for you, but prices will certainly vary.
Redbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

You can also check under any V-8 WJ's in your local junk yards. I think all the V-8's after 01 had the U-joint shaft. You'll also need to get the yokes for the TC and front axle.
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
NOCARRIER
1999 WJ 

Hey guys. I have a 99 WJ with a bad front drive shaft. I'm trying to remove the sucker now. I unbolted all of the 5/8 bolts (about 8 per side) and it still won't come down.

Is there an extra step or two that I'm missing?

Thanks.
NOCARRIER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCARRIER View Post
Hey guys. I have a 99 WJ with a bad front drive shaft. I'm trying to remove the sucker now. I unbolted all of the 5/8 bolts (about 8 per side) and it still won't come down.

Is there an extra step or two that I'm missing?

Thanks.
if you are sure you have all of the bolts out, then tap it with a hammer. Its just a little stuck.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
diliosr6
2002 WJ 

front drive shaft

I just installed the 6" clayton lift on my 99 wj and took it wheeling for the first time today. About 5 min back up the mountain trail, the front cv joint popped! then I drove it home about 30 min away. that was really loud and annoying! looks like I will also be buying the tom woods front drive shaft!
diliosr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Call CarolinaDriveline.com Thats who made mine.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
Call CarolinaDriveline.com Thats who made mine.
x2 on Carolina Driveline. They made mine as well. I have a single u-joint on one end, double cardan on the other.

Unread 11-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
canyanman
2000 WJ 

how much did the Carolina cost?
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I wasn't able to locate the receipt but think it ran, if memory serves me correct, about $290. Heck, it's a free call so see what they can do.
Carolina Driveline: (866) 742-3848

Unread 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
diliosr6
2002 WJ 

front drive shaft $375 double double cardan. rear drive shaft $345 double cardan. From carolina driveline. anyone know if straitening front axle housing is possible on a wj? my got bent. yard wants 400$ for a used one.
diliosr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.