99 WJ 4.7V8 Frequently shuts off while driving?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 WJ 4.7V8 Frequently shuts off while driving??

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
jjwells21
1999 WJ 

99 WJ 4.7V8 Frequently shuts off while driving??

Hey guys I have a 99 WJ with a 4.7 v8 and the past few weeks it will frequently shut off while driving. It only showed one code of engine speed sensor/crank position sensor. so i replaced it and yet the problem still continued. now when it shuts off all the guages go to 0 and all the instrament lights come on. you can try and start the car over and over but it wont actually start until it seems to either cool off or the system recycles itself. im not too sure what else to try. i have replaced the crank position sensor, cam position sensor, fuel filter, coolant temp sensor and checked the fuel pressure which is normal. this continues to be a puzzling problem especially since there is no check engine light that comes on when it shuts off which leaves me scratching my head. any help with any other possible reasons would be greatly appreciated.

jjwells21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
jeepheller98
1998 ZJ 

have you looked at the wires to the crank sensor?... how does the connector look? is it corroded, or maybe you got a defective sensor.. these are the exact syptoms of a CPS.
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
Laidback
1999 WJ 

Mine was doing the same and gave me the code for the CKPS too, I cleaned the battery terminals/connectors up and it hasn't done it since. (2 or 3 months ago)

There is a thread on here where somebody replaced their CKPS and the new one was faulty, when it got hot it stopped working, after it cooled down it was ok again.

So, do you have exactly the same symptoms now as before you changed the CKPS? How long will it drive before it shuts off? How long do you have to wait before it will start again?
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
jeepheller98
1998 ZJ 

also when you replace any sensor you have to rest the computer.... disconnect neg cable. put foot on brake, and keep key turned all the way for 30 seconds
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepheller98 View Post
also when you replace any sensor you have to rest the computer.... disconnect neg cable. put foot on brake, and keep key turned all the way for 30 seconds
What's the idea with holding the brake and turning the key? To discharge any capacitors faster or just good luck folklore?

CZJ.

BTW, back in the day my dad had an '87 Aerostar that did this. Pretty sure it turned out to be a bad gascap not letting air into the tank. Once removed, the van ran fine. I highly doubt your solution would be this easy, but you seem to have tried everything else.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Ved

I'm having the exact same symptoms as you describe. My CPS arrives today by way of UPS. I hope I don't have to chase this gremlin till my wallet weeps. So many horror stories related to this issue.

So far I've replaced fuel filter, Dist cap & rotor, Plugs & wires, and disabled the factory security system to no avail.

It's so random that there is no pattern as to when and where it shuts off. Doing 60mph, stopped, letting it warm up in the driveway... anytime, anyplace. Weird part is, I usually just pull right over when the engine stalls, but this last time, I put my foot in the gas when it stalled, and like a switch, the engine came back on and drove just fine. Sadly this Jeep has been reduced to just picking my daughter up from school like 4.5 miles away, but now it's even doing it once or trice in just that small trip.

I'm not getting any codes other than code 12 (battery has been disconnected recently) which is true.
Ved is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Battery may also be the culprit here. It will barely idle with a bad battery and if the battery is disconnected when it is running due to a bad cable or terminal, it will cause a shut down. If there's a bad cell in that battery, it can cause this and possible an intermittent issue.

Try one from another vehicle first to test or just replace it before you throw more parts at it.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.