99 grand cherokee stuck in 3rd gear.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 grand cherokee stuck in 3rd gear....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
jaders

99 grand cherokee stuck in 3rd gear....

my 99 grand cherokee is stuck in 3rd gear. it the automatic V8 4x4 model.
any ideas as to why its stuck or how i can fix it??

thanks

jaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Ender42
1999 WJ 

We need more information on the situation. Is it always stuck or just certain times. Also what is you t-case ect...

[B][SIZE="4"]76 CJ7[/SIZE][/B], 4.2l I-6, 2 inch body lift

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Ender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
jaders

it started this morning and was stuck in 3rd all the way to work. hadnt had a problem until then. the transfer case is a 247.
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

Sounds like it has gone into "limp home" mode. Possibly a bad input/output speed sensor (easy to fix).

See if you are throwing any codes (do the key trick):
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Unread 10-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtumbleweed View Post
Sounds like it has gone into "limp home" mode. Possibly a bad input/output speed sensor (easy to fix).

See if you are throwing any codes (do the key trick):
Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

That's exactly what I was thinking. there should be a thread about that on here somewhere.

[B][SIZE="4"]76 CJ7[/SIZE][/B], 4.2l I-6, 2 inch body lift

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Ender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Mopargearhead
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, your Jeep is stuck in limp in mode. There are many things that can cause a transmission to go into limp in mode though. See if you have any DTCs like tumbleweed suggested.
Mopargearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Radimus
2002 WJ 

I had the same problem, changed the speed sensors, but it still occured. You can try the speed sensors, there's 2, $100 for both, but after I did the sensors, I ended up plugging in a scanner and finding codes, pm me for the exact code #'s but the codes said lack of power to tcm, which could be a short in the solenoid, and the others said low tranny fluid line pressure, which could mean plugged filter or line. Seeing as this is a notorious problem on wj's, a mechanic buddy of mine threw a new solenoid unit in his daughters wj and it was fixed. Another thing may be the tcm/PCM may need a flash
Radimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
jaders

thanks for the help!
Unread 10-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Radimus
2002 WJ 

One more thing, one last code was thrown on mine saying my tranny overheated. First, before you spend any money, my reccomendation would be to plug a scanner into it and get codes. Then go from there. Remember, this is coming from someone with the same experience that tried speed sensors as a solution
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Radimus
2002 WJ 

4.7 needs a makeover

I apologize, I thought the reply I posted was a new thread

Last edited by Radimus; 10-19-2009 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Mistake

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.