99 grand cherokee laredo needs help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 grand cherokee laredo needs help.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
usafvet98

99 grand cherokee laredo needs help.

I could really use some help on this one. I have a 99 grand cherokee laredo 4x4. It is our only vehicle at the moment, and as a disabled vet, am running out of funds to fix the thing. My girlfriend tried to go out with my 2 year old son today and when she put the truck in reverse the drivers side wheel is jumping. It only happens in reverse and when I look out the door when going in reverse, it appears that just that wheel gets stuck as it goes round. I hear a pop every full resolution. I pulled the wheel, checked the rotor and pads, checked everything on the surface and all looks good. What could this be?

I was thinking rear wheel bearings? If it is, are they hard to replace on my own? I really cant afford to pay my mechanic to do it.

Please advise
Thanks
Brian

usafvet98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
sullivanpunk
2000 WJ 

I have never done it but I would say its a piece of cake. This link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/how-replace-axle-shaft-wheel-hub-bearing-assembly-w-pics-377208/
Is a rough step by step some one else posted. I see you said you are a disabled vet but depending on your disability you may need help from a buddy. But if you can take the tire off you should be good to go.

The best resource I have found for this kind of stuff is a Haynes manual, you can pick one up at auto part stores and they WILL have perfect step by step instructions for it and some times even let you know tips/tricks.

THANKS FOR YOU SERVICE!!
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

OP said Rear wheel bearing Whole different beast than the front.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

here is a better DIY guide...

http://www.jeepslimited.com/index.ph...d=22&Itemid=98
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
usafvet98

Thanks for the reply. Do you know from what I described if it is the bearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivanpunk View Post
I have never done it but I would say its a piece of cake. This link http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377208
Is a rough step by step some one else posted. I see you said you are a disabled vet but depending on your disability you may need help from a buddy. But if you can take the tire off you should be good to go.

The best resource I have found for this kind of stuff is a Haynes manual, you can pick one up at auto part stores and they WILL have perfect step by step instructions for it and some times even let you know tips/tricks.

THANKS FOR YOU SERVICE!!
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Lol now that i read it closer Sounds like you need a NEW cv Joint Did you check thoose if the boots are tore up the grease is gone and they dried up and broke,
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
usafvet98

They are pretty dry but not torn up from what I could see. I noticed a clunking yesterday, and this morning she tried to go in reverse and it pops on every revolution. Forward seems to be fine.
Unread 07-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Sounds like CV's definitely. If you were closer, I'd help out. You should be able to pick up a pair for under $200. Maybe there is somebody on here closer that could offer a hand? How many miles? Might be a good idea to knock out the bearing cartiridge while you're there too, if you had the funds.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.