99 Grand Cherokee Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
Robsho67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Starts right up and runs fine, Few mins after running it loses all power, Put the Pedal to floor and acts like no fuel, no power. Drove 50 miles last night and no problem, On way back home, Seemed like no power, was able to make it back to town, but after getting off interstate, not much power to get through side streets. Left Parked over night, Started right up this morning and ran fine. Drove 3 blocks and then no power, put in neutral and reved up, seemed like no fuel. Parked it and came back 10 mins later, Started right up, reved up and had plenty of power. Please advise!

Robsho67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Intermittent fuel pump could be the problem. When was the last time it had a general tune up, including fuel filter, which could also be the problem if it is excessively clogged.
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
letsgomuddin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a plugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump to me, problem is the pump is in your tank and I think the filter is too. Check your fuel pressure with a gauge attached to your fuel rail. You should be able to find out what it should be in a haynes or chilton book, otherwise ask your dealer.
letsgomuddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

So the engine is not stalling at idle or while driving right? It runs, just not well and intermittently?

Read through these threads for a battery & cable issue that many are finding. These things are super sensitive to not getting the right amount of power (...even when cranked and running) from the battery.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Robsho67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Intermittent fuel pump could be the problem. When was the last time it had a general tune up, including fuel filter, which could also be the problem if it is excessively clogged.

It had a tune up about a year ago. (12000 Miles)... I will take it to a local mechanic and have him check out the fuel source... Thank you
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Robsho67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgomuddin View Post
Sounds like a plugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump to me, problem is the pump is in your tank and I think the filter is too. Check your fuel pressure with a gauge attached to your fuel rail. You should be able to find out what it should be in a haynes or chilton book, otherwise ask your dealer.
I will do that.. Thank you
Unread 12-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Robsho67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
So the engine is not stalling at idle or while driving right? It runs, just not well and intermittently?

Read through these threads for a battery & cable issue that many are finding. These things are super sensitive to not getting the right amount of power (...even when cranked and running) from the battery.
It actually runs fine some times.. I was on the way home the other night and was crusing about 65, then all of sudden I had no power.. I was able to make it home, but when I got off the interstate, it acted like is was going to die at each stop light, Actually kept foot on gas, seemed like it was missing. Got it home, Went to bed, got up and it started and ran just fine.. Drove 3 blocks and then it started acting the same like it was going to die. It did not die but was running very rough and had no power....

I'm so glad I found this forum. You all provide great leads and information.

Thank you
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
Robsho67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Codes: P0351, P0352, P0353, P1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsho67 View Post
It actually runs fine some times.. I was on the way home the other night and was crusing about 65, then all of sudden I had no power.. I was able to make it home, but when I got off the interstate, it acted like is was going to die at each stop light, Actually kept foot on gas, seemed like it was missing. Got it home, Went to bed, got up and it started and ran just fine.. Drove 3 blocks and then it started acting the same like it was going to die. It did not die but was running very rough and had no power....

I'm so glad I found this forum. You all provide great leads and information.

Thank you
Gentleman, I just went and started this up.. Runs great for now.. I did the code check and it was giving me these codes.. P0351, P0352, P0353, and P1391. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
gpJeep
1999 WJ 

check the bloody Coil Rail -- try swaping for a good one

Coil rails are evil they break internally and don't run right at speed

ask me how I know
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Robsho67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpJeep View Post
check the bloody Coil Rail -- try swaping for a good one

Coil rails are evil they break internally and don't run right at speed

ask me how I know

I will try that.... Thank you
Unread 12-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsho67 View Post
Gentleman, I just went and started this up.. Runs great for now.. I did the code check and it was giving me these codes.. P0351, P0352, P0353, and P1391. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
P0351/2/3 Are all related to the ignition system malfunctioning click here for the details

P1391 is a bad cam or crank shaft position sensor.

Change out the coil pack and the cam/crank position sensor and you should be good to go
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Robsho67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.