99 Grand Cherokee Died today... Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 Grand Cherokee Died today... Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

99 Grand Cherokee Died today... Help

I am at work right now otherwise I would try to search.
Today my wife calls me to tell me that she was driving down the road and her Grand Cherokee died. After she stopped it started right back up and drove home with no problems. No check engine light or any other issues or signs.

History
Last week we had the 3 month old defective factory mopar fuel pump replaced (about 100 miles on the new one).
Last weekend I had to replace the neg battery terminal the small wire was so loose you could pull it out.
Yesterday I had to replace the Output Speed Sensor (P0720 code). I drove it about 60 miles last new with no issues.

This is has the 4.7L engine.

What should I start checking when I get home tonight? I am not sure where to start.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited by twmart; 06-09-2009 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: More details
twmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
OH99grand

crank or cam position sensor possibly
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH99grand View Post
crank or cam position sensor possibly
If that part failed would she be able to start it back up with no issues? Should there be an error code (ie Check Engine Light)?
Oh one thing I did forget about 5 weeks ago she was driving down the road and the car died and as she slowed down to around 10-15 mph the car started back up and she continued home.

Thanks
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmart View Post
If that part failed would she be able to start it back up with no issues? Should there be an error code (ie Check Engine Light)?
Oh one thing I did forget about 5 weeks ago she was driving down the road and the car died and as she slowed down to around 10-15 mph the car started back up and she continued home.

Thanks
Before you replace any sensors change your fuel filter! You said that you replaced your fuel pump. If some dirt or sludge is floating around your fuel filter it can clog the filter while under pressure and fall away after a stall or restart. This happened to me more than once over the years!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jeepers View Post

Before you replace any sensors change your fuel filter! You said that you replaced your fuel pump. If some dirt or sludge is floating around your fuel filter it can clog the filter while under pressure and fall away after a stall or restart. This happened to me more than once over the years!
When the dealer replaced the fuel pump last week they replaced the filter as well.
2001 Cherokee
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Question about part Quality for those that have replaced sensors in the past.
Is there any quality difference between the Mopar factory parts and say any of the following brands?
Napa
Niehoff
BWD
Standard Motors
2001 Cherokee
Unread 06-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Yes, always go mopar. Kolak@aol.com can get you the mopar sensors cheaper than you could from the dealer. When it comes to sensors, IMO, always go with mopar.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
twmart
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have the parts in hand and I have my fingers crossed that this will fix our problem.

Thanks for the help
Tom
2001 Cherokee
Unread 06-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
SouthZJ
1995 ZJ 

Did it just died once? or regular?
SouthZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.