99 G Cherokee 4.0 won't shift out of first! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 G Cherokee 4.0 won't shift out of first!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Shawn w
1997 TJ Wrangler 

99 G Cherokee 4.0 won't shift out of first!

I have a 99 Grand cherokee 4.0 4WD. It will not shift out of first at all. It goes in reverse and drive fine. Goes in all 4wd settings fine.It acts just like if you pull the shifter all the way down in to the 1 st gear selection. It does not try to change at all just keeps reving till you let off the gas and then revs down. The fluid is clean and full, and there are no warning lights of any kind on. It seems wierd that the tranny would just go out like this, they usually slip. This one seems like soemthing electrical is going on. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Shawn w
1997 TJ Wrangler 

can anyone offer any help?

Thanks,
Shawn
Unread 11-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Wiley

Is it throwing any codes?

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 • 4" lift • 31s • JKS f & r track bars • JKS discos • Cragar Soft 8s • DT 3000s • OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in • Dynomax Exhaust • Hella 500s • Westin Safari Bar • KOR Radiator Support
Dark Rosewood Jeep Club Member #5
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If drive & reverse works and 1st gear does not, then it seems like a cable adjustment?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Shawn w
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i checked codes and it only came back with done so I guess it is clear. Still looking for some answers.

Thanks,
Shawn
Unread 11-16-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
pulsepb
2000 WJ 

sounds like a transmission speed sensor. mine gave me a code and started doing exactly what you saying its an easy fix. just like changing a spark plug
pulsepb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
corningjeff

My 99 GC did the same thing over a year ago. Turns out the inner transmission seals were worn & needed to be replaced - an expensive fix. Does it start to shift normally after the engine/tranny warm up? Mine did this, as the heat allowed the seals to swell a bit. However, over time it eventually didn't shift well even when warm.
corningjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
GrandchampWJ02
2006 WK 

Same thing happened to me in my 4.0 XJ a couple years ago. I had a check engine light though. It turned out to be the throttle position sensor (TPS). I believe it was about a $40-50 plastic sensor that was really easy to replace. Just a suggestion and I'm not sure if this will help with a WJ.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #36
Previous Jeeps:
'02 Black WJ Laredo 4.7, '96 Cherokee Classic Moss Green
GrandchampWJ02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #9
Shawn w
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well i pulled the codes and there weren't any, and no it does not try to shift at all. just stays in first with out even attempting to shift.

Thanks,
Shawn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.