99 4.0 wj oil leak help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 99 4.0 wj oil leak help

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
spoiler8
1999 WJ 

99 4.0 wj oil leak help

hey new to the site, theres alot of great advice out there but im still having some trouble with my problem. I have a 99 grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and recently it started leaking oil. It has about 167,000 on it so after doing some reading i thought maybe its the rear main, but the drivers side of the oil pan is really rusted out and it is also covered with oil. The oil is all down the side of the pan, but it is also down the back and on the front of the transmission. Today i cleaned it up a bit and tried to patch it but the rust goes pretty far up. My question is if i cant stop the leak how hard will it be to remove the pan to replace it. Just from looking at it it seems impossible to get out without removing some major parts. Most of the posts about removing the oil pan ive found were on the Cherokee's so im not sure what all ill have to remove it.

Thanks alot guys

mike

spoiler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiler8 View Post
hey new to the site, theres alot of great advice out there but im still having some trouble with my problem. I have a 99 grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and recently it started leaking oil. It has about 167,000 on it so after doing some reading i thought maybe its the rear main, but the drivers side of the oil pan is really rusted out and it is also covered with oil. The oil is all down the side of the pan, but it is also down the back and on the front of the transmission. Today i cleaned it up a bit and tried to patch it but the rust goes pretty far up. My question is if i cant stop the leak how hard will it be to remove the pan to replace it. Just from looking at it it seems impossible to get out without removing some major parts. Most of the posts about removing the oil pan ive found were on the Cherokee's so im not sure what all ill have to remove it.

Thanks alot guys

mike
Don't think its that bad a job. It's been discussed here before. They do rust out sometimes.

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

You'll have to dicso the exhaust pipe at the manifold, remove the starter and likely an engine mount.
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
spoiler8
1999 WJ 

Thanks alot for the info, at first i thought it was the rear main cuz it only leaks when its warm, but since the oil pan is coated on the side i doubt the oil would be running forward with the vehicle moving. Its just weird it doesnt leake when its cold maybe because the oil isnt as thin....beats me.
Unread 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Greentrails
1999 WJ 

Its a pretty easy to do. I was a little apprehensive before dropping my pan, but once you get started and pull it off its not that hard. You also might want think about changing the valve cover gasket aswell. Found a little leak from the rear of the cover. My WJ has around 160,000 miles and it was definitely time to change those gaskets. Now, no oil leaks anywhere. As far was removing exhaust pipe at the manifold, starter and engine mount, I didn't have to do any of that. Although, I noticed how much easier it would have been to remove those, but its do able without have to remove those items. Just need a little patients.

Good luck.
Greentrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
spoiler8
1999 WJ 

Thanks guys the jb weld worked for now but i plan on changing it in a few months since places i cant get to are pretty bad. I also noticed alot of crud on the rear of the valve cover so might as well add that to my list.

Thanks alot for all your help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.