98ZJ 4.0 Can I drive with no exhaust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98ZJ 4.0 Can I drive with no exhaust?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
purple_jeep
1998 ZJ 

98ZJ 4.0 Can I drive with no exhaust?

Hi All,

I have a bit of an issue atm

I just had to replace my Rugged Ridge exhaust header as it cracked (returned under warranty). Nick (kolak) suggested instead of staying with Rugged Ridge I go with Doug Thorley header as they had some in stock this time.

I received it and installed it no problem except it has a 3 bolt flange for the down pipe and seems to be in a different position then stock slightly. Now I dont have a welder so I have been trying to figure out some way to make it fit with no luck .

Can I drive it with no down pipe (muffler Cat and O2 sensors) just long enough to get to a shop to have it all welded up?

Also I need to do the rear Main seal soon is it work having them cut and put a joint in just before the cat so I can remove the section of pipe from the header to the Cat as I hear its in the way for doing the rear main seal?

Cheers

Chris

purple_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
ZJNW
1995 ZJ 

i drove mine 70 miles with no muffler or cat just running straight out the y pipe... it will be really really loud. It probably wasn't very good idea to drive that far but eh still runs good.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Running it w/o a cat is really looked down on here

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
purple_jeep
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I totally understand I just cant figure out a way to get it attached at home

I guess the question is will running it for ~10 miles hurt my engine?

I understand it will be loud and not good for the environment but I cant see an easy way to overcome the issue....
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it'll be fine to get it to a shop. just super loud and probably a lot of backfire action.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Do you have AAA or towing on your insurance? If so just tell them it's broke and needs towed to a shop. If not make a slow run for it, don't back your engine down a bunch letting cool air go up the header, and it should be fine.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
purple_jeep
1998 ZJ 

Ok thanks everyone!

I will give it one more go at tying them together somehow then I will drive it to the shop!

UniBlurb, what do you mean not backing down my engine? Should I try keeping it at a constant RPM as much as possible?
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
ajmorell

You might be able to rig some flex pipe between the two, it'll be ugly and won't seal the two very well but it would be slightly less obnoxious.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_jeep View Post
Ok thanks everyone!

I will give it one more go at tying them together somehow then I will drive it to the shop!

UniBlurb, what do you mean not backing down my engine? Should I try keeping it at a constant RPM as much as possible?
What I mean is don't have the engine revved high then let off of the accelerator real quick where it may backfire and the back pressure could suck cool air into the hot engine. Try coming to a stop slowly, less noise, and constant rpms would be the best. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
purple_jeep
1998 ZJ 

Well i got the pieces wedged together, not sealed but mostly together. Tomorrow I will drive it carefully to the local exhaust shop and have it welded thanks everyone!

Cheers

Chris
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
MrFreeMode
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
You might be able to rig some flex pipe between the two, it'll be ugly and won't seal the two very well but it would be slightly less obnoxious.
Isn't the fun thing to do? Being obnoxious, I mean.
MrFreeMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Jesus christ,all he is doing is drivng to the muffler shop,you guys get off your high horses
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
OCDComputing
1998 ZJ 

It's too bad you won't be able to see it....if you run it to high RPM's and then chop the throttle you can get some nice flames out the exhaust! How do I know this...lol...I do this with my bike....and get some AWESOME flamage!! Can scare the crap out of riders beside you though! But that's what running an 18" open pipe can do! Hellz ya! It won't hurt the engine.

Edit: Should note it's turbocharged though...lol...totally different rules apply!
OCDComputing is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.