98 ZJ Stock Lower Control Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ Stock Lower Control Arms

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
4WD318
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ Stock Lower Control Arms

I am trying to install a 3.5 Lift onto my ZJ (first lift) and the bottom bolt on the stock lower control arms just will not budge whatsoever, so I am just looking for some advice on breaking them free and if this is usually a trouble spot or not on the ZJ's. Any light shed on removal of the control arms is greatly appreciated, thanks.

4WD318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
4WD318
1998 ZJ 

Anyone else ever experience this problem???
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Try heat, rust penetrator, more heat, and a cheater bar.

Let it soak overnight too with the rust penetrator.

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
4WD318
1998 ZJ 

thanks but i actually just read that i can use my stock control arms with a 3.5inch lift , is this true?
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
jdk3034

you're gonna need a 2 ft 1/2 dr breaker bar or similar size or an impact wrench, and possibly heat.
jdk3034 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
98jeepzj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yeah you can i have them on mine, the only thing is the back wheels are really close to the front of the wheel well. and for some reason i rub my front left tire only when in reverse going down a hill. but you can do it. it rides fine.
98jeepzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98jeepzj View Post
yeah you can i have them on mine, the only thing is the back wheels are really close to the front of the wheel well. and for some reason i rub my front left tire only when in reverse going down a hill. but you can do it. it rides fine.

what are you running for tires?
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
FucusJeep
1994 ZJ 

im not running that lift but from all my observations youll only be able to run like a 31" tire with stock control arms, proabably 33" tires if you change them out
FucusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #9
Joe07
1995 ZJ 

had to cut off one of the front LCA bolts. It was a HUGE PITA and the replacement bolt from the dealer cost a lot.
Joe07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

that is an eccentric bolt or cam bolt it think its called.. that is what is used for your caster alignment. PB Blaster it overnight, then only apply your torque from maybe an impact wrench or BFH /breaker bar to loosen it on the nut side. If not you impact the bolt head side , the chance of breaking the cam bolt is greater.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
phbrown
1994 ZJ 

When i replaced mine I followed the advice posted previously.

Soak it with PB Blaster a day or two in advance. And then I used a 3 foot cheater bar. It was easy.

(Now putting it back together was a pain. Couldn't get the bolt holes to line up right had to borrow a friend to help get everything in place.)
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
98jeepzj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I run 31's with that setup. I'm pretty sure with adj rears and stock fronts and a little trimming ill be able to fit 33's
Unread 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
gonejeepin04220
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98jeepzj View Post
I run 31's with that setup. I'm pretty sure with adj rears and stock fronts and a little trimming ill be able to fit 33's

you talkin adj uppers and lowers? i was thinkin of doin something like that to run 33s. i know on stock rear arms and 3.5"+ is stuffing the rear tires into the front of the fender. let me know if you have any more info on that. does any one know of a chart that shows CA lengths with X amount of lift for the zj? i have one for my xj. thanks
"my xj is so horny, sometimes im scared itll came right up in a wheelie"
gonejeepin04220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
98jeepzj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah itl probably be rear upper and lowers. I have about 3 inchs of room between the front of my rear fender and tire. Like I said with the 31's I only rub the front of my left front fender in reverse going down a my driveway Right as I make the transfer from my pitched driveway to road,and it barely touchs the tread. Trimming to clear 33's shouldent be much.I also need upper and lower front control arm bushings so that probably has something to do with the little rub. As for buying new control arms, IMO don't waste money on the fixed ones just buy the adjustables so when you decide to go bigger later you can easily. IRO makes some pretty good ones and are not too expensive. Last time I checked it was 300 or less for upper and lower rears. If you haven't already I'd invest with in a rear track bar as well as a front one if you didient get it with the lift.

I am curious on wich shocks you got with the kit though? I got the doetsch tech and I love them but the only thing I hate is how much they limit flex.
Unread 02-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

PB Blaster and an Air Gun...

Thats how I got mine off.
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.