98 "ZJ" Starts & dies twice, then starts and runs fine (where do I start?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 "ZJ" Starts & dies twice, then starts and runs fine (where do I start?)

Poison Spyder JK LED Taillight & Wiring Harness KitsPoison Spyder JK Crusher CornersPANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 04-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
DeTeR

98 "ZJ" Starts & dies twice, then starts and runs fine (where do I start?)

Update as of 5/15/2015:
Replaced front and rear O2 sensors
Cleaned fuel rail/injectors
Fuel pump replaced and tank cleaned
Fuel pump replaced again (first one was defective - delphi from Autozone)
Battery replaced
pulled plugs to check them, 6 clean & normal. #4 was wet with gas, #6 was covered in carbon
Checked plug wire routes... yep, PO had 4&6 crossed. Runs better, backfiring gone. I think still has starting issue

Other info:
has new plugs/wires/cap/rotor
fuel is fresh
No engine light, no codes

Original Post:
like title says my "ZJ" starts and dies twice then starts and runs fine. I haven't started diagnosis yet, just looking to see if there is something common to look for. I searched but didn't really have any luck.

Any thoughts?

I have one code P0141 : O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
I recently replaced the fuel pump and will be checking fuel pressure
I've seen ZJs start/run/die (and not start) due to failing/failed battery

DeTeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
DeTeR

to clarify: every time I start it (hot or cold) it starts and dies twice, then starts and runs after that
Unread 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Boone96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

starter relay and solenoid (probably not). fuel pump pressure, try cycling the key two to three times before starting the first time. if it stays running then there is your culprit. fix the o2 sensor.
Unread 04-16-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone96ZJ View Post
fix the o2 sensor.
x2

disconnect the front sensor and see if the problem goes away. if it does, order an NTK sensor. Dont use Bosch
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
BudgetZJ
1998 ZJ 

check fuel pump pressure im having same problem just checked it and i got 20 psi and the rail way to low

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/98-grand-cherokee-topless-project-2041409/
BudgetZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
DeTeR

current update. When I checked fuel pressure it was high, like 60-62 psi. I also found there was a bunch of fuel in the oil... I noticed it had been running rich, didn't realize it was that bad. (some back story: I had replaced the fuel pump/sending unit because the original basically deteriorated and there was a bunch of trash in the tank that I had to clean out)

So what I did so far was change the oil. And I removed the fuel rail and injectors to clean them and make sure there was no trash that got up there. Test injectors too.

So I got that all done and forgot to plug in the IAC and couldn't get it to idle.... plugged in the IAC and it still won't idle.... and thats where I'm at today. I'll pull the IAC and see if it got stuck or is gunked up with crap

Definitely going to try unplugging the O2s as suggested. Thanks for the help/advice so far
Unread 04-21-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
SafeRacer

I was having the same similar issue. I replaced the IAC and it took care of the problem for me.
SafeRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
DeTeR

lets see, updates so far (this jeep is my toy, so I only work on it when I have time)

Replaced both O2 sensors
Cleaned fuel rail/injectors
The problem with IAC was fixed by unhooking battery for awhile
Had to replace my replacement fuel pump... FPR was bad (I bough Delphi @ autozone... SHOULD have gotten OEM. If this one has problems I will get OEM)

I still have the starting problem... looks like next on the list is a new battery (this one is at least 5 years old)
Unread 05-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
DeTeR

ok replaced the battery and still having issues. It's still hard to start. idles, runs, & drives fine. it does "backfire" slightly out the exhaust under heavy throttle.
So I'll need to check fuel pressure again... I'm going to be real pissed if this fuel pump is defective as well. thanks in advance for any other suggestions, I'd like to get all the kinks worked out of this thing
Unread 05-15-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
DeTeR

pulled plugs to check them, 6 of them were clean & normal. #4 was wet with gas, #6 was covered in carbon
Unread 05-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #11
DeTeR

had a minute at lunch today.... checked plug wire routes... yep the PO had #4 and #6 switched around. Runs a hell of a lot better now! I think I still have the starting issue... but I'll have to report back on that
Unread 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

That would certainly make it run strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
howdyratz
1997 ZJ 

I've had distribution wires switched before, caused enough back pressure to blow my OEM air filter intake box open. (Those plastic latches opened up from the pressure)

I think it probably damaged my valves, hope you didn't get any problems as a result.
howdyratz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #14
DeTeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdyratz View Post
I've had distribution wires switched before, caused enough back pressure to blow my OEM air filter intake box open. (Those plastic latches opened up from the pressure)

I think it probably damaged my valves, hope you didn't get any problems as a result.
Yikes! That would be scary. I'm sure I've got plenty of fuel in my oil again... so time for another oil change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.