'98 ZJ Stalling While driving, now only starts after sitting long periods. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '98 ZJ Stalling While driving, now only starts after sitting long periods.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there's only a paper spacer on the end that the flex plate will scrape off during operation.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #17
EveryDayZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

I am guessing that paper spacer is what I've heard not to remove prior to install?
EveryDayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
EveryDayZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

I've also read about hooking up a scan tool to "re learn" the idle after replacing the CPS, I got the part from Jeep. Haven't had time to install yet, but will this afternoon. But is a scan tool required or is this "relearn" applicable in my situation?
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
EveryDayZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Well, new sensor is in. ended up buying an 18 inch 3/8 extension to assist, bolt went out easy but sensor itself was a pita. Anyway, I've got the jeep up to temp, have driven around and seems like she's running a bit better. This is only day one, I'll continue to update this thread in case of anything relating to the symptoms occurs again.

a BIG thank you to this forum community for sharing experience and knowledge. I could not have gotten this far in the repair without you all!

Last edited by EveryDayZeeJay; 04-29-2013 at 09:07 PM..
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
98ZJLaredo
1998 ZJ 

A new cps will come with the spacer attached but if its not an OE Mopar cps I would NOT trust it. The correct spacing should be 0.032. I used a small piece of cardboard and superglued it to the cps. Check the thickness of the cardboard first with calipers or a micrometer. Genuine MOPAR is the way to go with ALL sensors.
98ZJLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
EveryDayZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Yup, Mopar sensor is what I installed. We're now a whole 7 days with no stalling.
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
TexasstyleZJ
1994 ZJ 

Jeep still running good? I have had a lot of the same issues with mine. Replaced with a bs parts store match CPS to get it to start months back before I knew better and have been chasing the problem of the misfire at operating temp sense. What was yours doing before it stalled? Was it misfiring and giving it throttle would only make it worse? Hope your jeep is still running good, conquering the problem is a great feeling.
TexasstyleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Ditty_JK

Just to piggy back on your post...

I've been having the exact same problem with my fiancee's 98 GC 4.0L. Will fire right up, and then out of the blue, usually either slowing for a light/stop sign or taking off from said light/stop sign, it will just die like someone turned the key off. We've tried numerous things: CamPS, coil, battery cables/terminals, cleaning terminals on computer, IAC, and the TPS so the CrankPS is my next part.

I'd like to know if you've had any other problems. Thanks
Ditty_JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Just replaced the sensor the other day myself.
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #25
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Buy a mopar sensor
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Also check the distributer. It could be going bad as well...

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #27
EveryDayZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

As an Update for everyone, My baby has been stall free since the replacement of my CrankPS, I did end up buying an 18" ratchet extension to make the job super easy. Now I just gotta find some info on how best to diagnose/find where all my oil leaks are coming from, I keep her topped off, but she drools like a mofo
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #28
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

For the record I believe a cereal box cardboard { I was told the boxtop} is the correct thickness to use as a spacer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.