98 ZJ NV-242 trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ NV-242 trouble

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
SethGCherokee
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ NV-242 trouble

I have selectrac on my 98 ZJ, it has 140,000 miles. Transfer case was drained and refilled several times since new. Symptoms: When i was given the car from my grandma the 4WD engaged and disengaged but had excessive amounts of wheel hop at low speeds (steering wheel is nearly uncontrollable and turns back and forth, also requires more gas to move when turning) it would stop after having the car engaged or disengaged for a day or so. Even then with the wheel hop there was no new noise. I soon figured out i could avoid the wheel hop that first day when engaging by doing so at highway speeds. About 6 months ago i put it into full time and the wheel hop starts to occur except now there is a very loud grinding noise, in part time and full time. It seems to be coming from the mid front of the vehicle, so transfer case or front axle. It gets louder with speed even more so when you coast on the highway. Its less prominent when accelerating. Have tried to research the 242 but i can't wrap my head around it. I took it to a shop and they showed me excessive amounts of silver shavings in the front differential, so i had it drained and filled with new fluid which did nothing. If you put it back into 2wd it would disengage about a day or so later and problem would stop. I started playing around on gravel and figured out that if i induce the loss of traction while in 4wd the problem stops. But when i go to disengage it, i have to do the same thing. ANY IDEAS or THOUGHTS, HELP of ANY kind would be fantastic!

SethGCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4wd , selec trac , transfer case

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.