98 ZJ Lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ Lift question

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 04-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ Lift question

I just bought my first Jeep a few days ago. Its a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 4.0, 242 T/C, stock axles, and 33x12.50x15 tires. "Supposedly" it has a 6" lift on it, but its got the stock control arms on it. I guess my question is, can I use a long arm kit for a 4.5" lift kit instead of purchasing an entire 6" kit just to get the arms? Im new to the whole 4 wheel drive scene so all this is real unfamiliar to me. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Grand98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I would highly doubt it's a real 6" kit. Sounds like someone tried to "sell" it as that to you. a 4.5" kit may cause it to rub with 33s depending on the wheels used. I guess someone could have installed 6" springs but d@mn that's gotta drive and ride like *****

IF you really want to do it right, then I would say YES get you a complete 4.5" long arm kit...but unless you have alot of time or a lot of friends with knowledge, I don't think it's the wisest of moves to try to install that yourself.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

^ He is not talking about swapping the whole lift.

Provided that all the other lift components are there, you CAN just buy long arms to replace the stock control arms. They do not provide different length long arms for different lift heights. I would look at IRO for a pretty simple bolt on install or Clayton Offroad Mfg for a kit that requires welding. If you go IRO, get the adjustable ones, they are worth it.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I misunderstood what was being asked then. It happens.

Should be pretty easy to see if any other lift components were installed....if not then you gotta get the kit of your choice or components to complete what has been started on your jeep. But you need to know what is there
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. Im pretty mechanically inclined plus I work at a dealership with access to the shop and tools. Im just not use to lifting things. Been into lowered minitrucks for the past decade. But yes, its not the best riding truck even though it is lifted. It looks like someone may have added spacers to the top of the springs. It does have aftermarket track bars but not sure which brand. Im not looking for a cadillac ride but it would be nice if it road better than an old buckboard wagon. Ive been seeing notes on the long arm kits saying to replace the front driveshaft if its a cv joint. Is it an aftermarket shaft or just a new OEM shaft that should be used?
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand98 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. Im pretty mechanically inclined plus I work at a dealership with access to the shop and tools. Im just not use to lifting things. Been into lowered minitrucks for the past decade. But yes, its not the best riding truck even though it is lifted. It looks like someone may have added spacers to the top of the springs. It does have aftermarket track bars but not sure which brand. Im not looking for a cadillac ride but it would be nice if it road better than an old buckboard wagon. Ive been seeing notes on the long arm kits saying to replace the front driveshaft if its a cv joint. Is it an aftermarket shaft or just a new OEM shaft that should be used?
I think you can just pull one from a yard, though not sure which would work for you.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

So I just got back from a local four wheel drive shop. Just like you guys said, its a 4.5" lift with 2" spacers added. Anybody have experience with Rocky Road Outfitters? Thats who the guy at the shop recommended, probably because hes a distributor.
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Stay away. There is a looooong thread on here about how bad they are.

IRO, Rubicon Express, Clayton Mfg, or possibly IronMan Fab are the only ones I would consider buying long arms from.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
Stay away. There is a looooong thread on here about how bad they are.

IRO, Rubicon Express, Clayton Mfg, or possibly IronMan Fab are the only ones I would consider buying long arms from.
Exactly what he said....IRO is probably the most economical....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.