98 Zj laredo ABS light came on once.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Zj laredo ABS light came on once..

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
ZjRW
1998 ZJ 

Noticed the ABS light on while driving home. When I pulled into my driveway I Pulled up my handbrake then let it down again, the ABS light went away. I started up the jeep twice more and the ABS light didn't come on. You guys think it's my ABS or just a faulty sensor?

Forgot to add: my jeep is 1998 ZJ 4.0 i6. Brakes changed a year ago, battery changed half a year ago.

ZjRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

Maybe a fault on one sensor. If you have a scan tool, try monitoring your speed sensors for one dropping out. Otherwise, I'd let it go until it comes on and stays.

I am not sure if it would be stored in history codes if it went back off. Worth a try to scan.
RTLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
grego
1994 ZJ 

It may be a sensor fault if you are lucky. Mine came on when I had a brake line leak near a tire. I assume it just got enough fluid aroudn there to make it hard for the sensor to function.

I never actually took a look at that sensor after the brake line was fixed and the light has stayed on indicating ABS. Since I really am not a fan of ABS brakes on my jeep, so I like that they aren't functioning right now and I have regular brakes.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
BlastMasta
1996 ZJ 

Easy fix

Remove All ABS relays and fuse
Unplug ABS pump
Remove all speed sensors
Remove ABS light from cluster

FIXED
BlastMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Untill you crash and the insurance wont cover anything because YOU disabled a safteysystem.
Pierre_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastMasta View Post
Easy fix

Remove All ABS relays and fuse
Unplug ABS pump
Remove all speed sensors
Remove ABS light from cluster

FIXED

Ive done 2/4 of these things

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

What insurance? you guys have insurance on your old Jeep?
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLee View Post
Maybe a fault on one sensor. If you have a scan tool, try monitoring your speed sensors for one dropping out. Otherwise, I'd let it go until it comes on and stays.

I am not sure if it would be stored in history codes if it went back off. Worth a try to scan.
No scanners other than the Chrysler drbiii and snap on solus can read abs data. The wheel sensors do not report anything to the pcm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre_r View Post
Untill you crash and the insurance wont cover anything because YOU disabled a safteysystem.
Abs is a convenience, not a required system. Still millions of vehicles on the road without it and they stop just fine.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
BlastMasta
1996 ZJ 

What kind of crappy insurance would take the time to look for that?. Lol. Just dont wreck it

In the state of PA it is not mandatory to have ABS
Also the braking system works better without ABS. You just need to know how to drive

I prefer not having ABS and performing my own brake pumping. You have more control over the vehicle
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastMasta View Post
What kind of crappy insurance would take the time to look for that?. Lol. Just dont wreck it

In the state of PA it is not mandatory to have ABS
Also the braking system works better without ABS. You just need to know how to drive

I prefer not having ABS and performing my own brake pumping. You have more control over the vehicle
In the dry or snow / ice yeah but not in the wet on the street IMHO

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
BlastMasta
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk

In the dry or snow / ice yeah but not in the wet on the street IMHO

Snow, ice, rain?

I understand these are all different braking situations; but in every one of these situations i would prefer manual, boost assist, braking
ABS is over rated

My humble opinion
:P

Some people would prefer ABS and would rather keep it operational

Not this guy
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
dean477
1998 ZJ 

OP, I have the same year and trim jeep. My light came on and off a few times awhile ago. I took it to a buddies shop with the scanning tools and it was a speed sensor. he said not to worry, but if i wanted to, i could take the fuze and relays out to have a non abs braking vehicle. As the members above have stated, its a preference. But as an Emt who has seen too many accidents...I'd keep the modern safety feature that the jeep was designed to have on it. especially if you didn't grow up in the 70's/80's and have experience with non abs cars. You don't want to make your first emergency maneuver without abs and not know how to properly use the big pedal or not know how the truck is going to react...

Dean
dean477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
ZjRW
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have insurance on the jeep and do not intend to disable the system just yet I have been keeping a close eye on the truck and the light hasnt come on since.
ZjRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
KillNThrill24
1993 ZJ 

ABS? The hell is that? Some new invention? Lol every vehicle I've owned has had broken ABS and traction control.

Check all your sensors (if you wish) or just leave it alone. As long as you know how to drive you really don't need it, and the ABS light won't do anything but annoy you. I get scared when mine goes off..
KillNThrill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
bluefever

has anyone tried the actron CP9580A? it says all obd2 vehicles.
bluefever is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.