98 ZJ Frontend Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ Frontend Question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ Frontend Question

Ok. This question has probably been answered before, but I wasn't sure where to look. Here's the issue. I got a 98 ZJ with 33x12.50 Truxxus tires and 6.5" lift. I didn't really have any major vibrations or wobble before in the frontend, but I just replaced both motor mounts and rotated the tires. Now, between 40 and 50 mph, it vibrates like hell almost like there's a tire out of balance or a tire is seperating. Could this be the case? Or is this the dreaded Death Wobble? Or could it be the driveshaft vibrating? It still has the factory cv to u-joint driveshaft. This is my first Jeep and I'm a noob to this. Any faster or slower than 40 and 50 and the problem is gone. A little help or insight guys. Thanks

Grand98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

at 6.5" you should be on longarms, if your not then thats your biggest problem
also if you have the cv at the front diff pinion instead of a ujoint then that is probably it, they get toasted by anything more than 2" of lift
THat requires a yoke swap which can be somewhat detailed depending on your mechanical skills, you cant just unbolt it and slap a u joint yoke on
rotate the tires back one at a time and see iff it changes
Unread 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

I bought the Jeep recently with the lift on it and it currently does not have the long arms. But I do have the long arms for the rear and the control arm drop kit from RRO that I'm about to install. What confuses me is that before I did the motor mounts and tire rotation, I didn't really have an issue at all. Just every once in a while.
Grand98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.