98 ZJ Fog Light replacement options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ Fog Light replacement options

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
rritch
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ Fog Light replacement options

Yesterday I pulled the bumper cover from the front of my ZJ to repaint it. Today I look out and discover that some *** hat has smashed one of my fog lights for me. Obviously since it is easier to replace while the bumper is off I want to get replacements before this weekend. I have looked online and the OEM replacements are kind of expensive, not to mention the fact that I might not be able to get them by this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the OEM lights with after market ones? It looks like if I get a set around the same size (5.75" x 2.75") that I should be able to bolt them to the factory bracket and tie into the factory harness. Does anyone have experience with this? brand and model of light and any pictures would be helpful also. Thanks in advance.

Unread 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
MStaffin
1997 ZJ 

I once had some rally lights in there I cut the pig tails from the factory one that broke and wired the rally square ones to the pig tail. Then I saved up for the factory ones and mounted the rally to a bar.
MStaffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
rritch
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGrandCheroke View Post
I once had some rally lights in there I cut the pig tails from the factory one that broke and wired the rally square ones to the pig tail. Then I saved up for the factory ones and mounted the rally to a bar.
That was my thought as well. Were you able to bolt them to the factory mounting bracket?
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Fisheadstew
1997 ZJ 

Not sure what you consider expensive, but I replaced both mine on my '97 with ones from rockauto
a couple years ago. They came with bulbs, brackets, and correct connectors for about $30 each.
Don't remember the branding for sure but I think they were Depo or TYC.
So far no rust and fitment was perfect.
I did the headlights a couple months ago with TYCs, again no problems.
Nice to be able to see at night again and it looks a lot better too.

Fish
Fisheadstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
rritch
1998 ZJ 

I was able to find some Pilot driving lights at Autozone that worked well. They are almost the same size as the factory lights and mounted to the factory brackets. I spliced into the factory wiring harness. All in all it took me about 20 minutes to install them since the bumper cover was already off. here is a pci of them installed and the bumper back on. Sorry no pics of the install, it was cold and windy so I just wanted to get it done.

Unread 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
BIG_T
2000 XJ Cherokee 

wow that is cool
BIG_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
rritch
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_T View Post
wow that is cool
Thanks, and as a bonus the light output from them is better than the factory lights. between them and the Hella's I can actually see at night which is NOT the norm for ZJ's
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
CleverName
1998 ZJ 

Great solution! I might steal your idea. I installed an hid kit in my factory fogs...(nothing but problems with hid's) So I went to switch back to normal bulbs only to realize I either lost or threw out the factory plugs
How much those run? They look nice!
CleverName is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

I was gonna replace mine too. Heres some options i was looking at:

http://www.myaston.com/k/?view=item&...BER+FOG+LIGHTS

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/199...ht/Fog-Lights/
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.