98 ZJ factory alarm glitch..How to I disconnect it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ factory alarm glitch..How to I disconnect it?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
MyZJ98
1997 ZJ 

98 ZJ factory alarm glitch..How to I disconnect it?

Hey guys, I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee laredo with the factory chrysler alarm system built into it, and it had the little remote with the 'unlock', 'lock' and 'panic' buttons on it, and when you press the lock button, it engages the alarm system. Lately though, when I lock it with the keyless remote, the alarm will later randomly go off. There's no specific time it goes off, nothing that causes it, no loud noise or any disturbance, but it just goes off, and sets the horn off, and it won't disengage until I press the lock button or it goes on for the full 3 minutes. I'm really not making good friends with the neighbors when my alarm is going off for no reason at 3am, plus it's just beginning to get on my nerves and I fear if it keeps going off so often, it will kill my brand new battery! So my question is, how can I disable the alarm so when I press the 'lock' button, it simply just locks the doors? I've already disbabled and removed the 'panic' button from the remote, thinking maybe something in my pocket would hit the button and cause it to go off, but that still didn't fix it. I even tried to just unplug my horn, but even that, I could get my hands on top of the horns to unplug them, so that plan failed too... please help me out, I'm running out of ideas and getting frustrated and really don't wanna have to take it to the stealership to have them tinker with it if it was something I coulda done...

Thanks,

Derek

'98 ZJ Laredo, 4.0L, 140K, NP242, stock. (Sold @205k)
'99 WJ Laredo, 4.7L, 175K, NP249, stock. (Sold @240k)
'97 ZJ Limited, 4.0L, 109K, NP249, stock.(Current)
MyZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Im having the same issue, no clue as how to fix it. I havent locked the Jeep in almost 3 weeks because of it, I just use my Club.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

the zj theft module is part of the bcm, so it could be that malfunctioning or one of the door switches going bad, or the hatch, or the headlight switch
Unread 08-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/how-disable-your-alarm-your-zj-483020/

Best bet would be to try that.

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
the zj theft module is part of the bcm, so it could be that malfunctioning or one of the door switches going bad, or the hatch, or the headlight switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirus89 View Post

#1 will most likely fix your problem, but theres a possibility it wont and it costs money to replace the switches

#2 will permanently disable your alarm so it never works again... so if you want to have an alarm you will have to put on an aftermarket alarm. As you can see ( since i wrote that link ) i have disabled mine and i put on a DEI Viper alarm with remote start. If after reading that you still need more help disabling your alarm, pm me and i will help you all i can
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

remember it is an alarm system that is designed to be difficult to circumvent. generally stuff that disables the alarm disables the jeep too.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumZJ View Post
remember it is an alarm system that is designed to be difficult to circumvent. generally stuff that disables the alarm disables the jeep too.
grounding out the alarm like in that link WILL NOT effect the rest of the Jeep at all... i have had it done for a year and many others have done it for quite some time.

Now if you go pulling fuses or try to pull out the Alarm Module your Jeep will not like you at all
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
JGC1998
2007 WK 

If you ground out your 98, you will end up with the lights on in the interior all the time, tried it. Check the other forums about security systems on 'em. If you do figure out a good solution, let me know, I have the same issue on my 98 ZJ. I just lock the door with the key for now.
JGC1998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.