98 ZJ Air Conditioning/Engine Temp Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ Air Conditioning/Engine Temp Question

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
webibeay
2004 KJ Liberty 

98 ZJ Air Conditioning/Engine Temp Question

Hey Folks -

I have a '98 ZJ with approximately 94k on it. Overall very good condition and runs perfectly.

I recently had the AC charged and as the weather has gotten warm and tried to start using it. Overall, the engine temp gauge sits just left the 1/2 way mark and never moves even when stuck in extended traffic jams

When using the AC almost immediately I start to see the temp gauge rise significantly. I've seen it get so far as a little over 3/4 with no affect on engine performance and the AC still blows ice cold.

As soon as I turn off the AC, the engine cools right down and stays as the usual less than 1/2 range.

I'm concerned as I don't want to overheat the engine and since this is a 2nd vehicle, I don't want to put thousands of dollars in repairs/have or have to replace the engine as I'm still paying on my primary ride. I need this one to last me another 2 years and then I can sell it/upgrade to a newer one.

To give you all some background, over the last 2 years and 10,000 miles the following work has been done:

- Radiator
- Thermostat
- Water Pump
- Coolant Temp Sensor
- All Hoses

Any thoughts on what it could be? I wonder if the folks at the service shop I took it to mucked something up and caused this....

Thanks in advance -

2012 Ford Fusion Sport
webibeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

a lot of us have this problem. i have replace the radiator in mine within a year and just put a trans cooler in. it still does it.
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

Yea i ran into the same thing, I too replaced everything like on your list the only thing i have not replaced is the water pump. But mine too will start to over heat and work its way up to the 3/4line and bam it will cool back down to the 210mark. And i got 190K miles as of today. Oh forgot i did the E-fan conversion and it makes no difference if its on or off when its doing this... like the other person said alot of people have this problem.
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
webibeay
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Guys - glad to know it's not only me.... Frustrating though... damn AC works so well there's penguins running around inside the truck -- and works a hell of allot better than the AC in my 2010 Mustang.

I swear it's got to be something that's clogged from the AC system -- I just can't understand why this would happen...
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
webibeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

check the fan clutch zj's are known for having those things go
blackzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
AnotherRedZj
1997 ZJ 

Same deal here! Put a 185 thermostat in mine helped a bit but but loooking for a significant radiator upgrade at this point, fl heat is a b#&%$ while wheeling, gotta have that Ac!
AnotherRedZj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.