98 ZJ 5.2L clicking Engine noise need help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ 5.2L clicking Engine noise need help please

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
t_guenther
1995 ZJ 

98 ZJ 5.2L clicking Engine noise need help please

I just picked up a 98 ZJ with a 5.2L V8 for real cheap, and it has a heavy clicking noise coming from the engine on the passenger side. The noise only occurs when the engine is at normal operating temperature, and it does not do it at idle, it only makes the noise when the engine is revved up to around 2200 then it will make the noise continuously. The frequency of the clicking also increases as the RPM of the engine increases.
The jeep still drives fine, down the highway at 60 mph with no problems with hesitation, or loss of power. The previous owner had always used penzoil, which i have always had problems with, but thought at 91,000 miles major engine trouble is not to likely. My first thoughts were sticky valves or a lifter that has a problem. If anybody needs more information, i will do my best, and any help will be appreciated.

--95 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8--
Front/Rear Adj. Track Bar, 249 to 231 Swap, Tie rod conversion,
Hella 500's, Flowmaster 50 Series, Aussie Locker in the Rear,
31x10.5 BFG All-Terrains on 15x8 Pro Comp 97 Crawlers, 3" Lift
t_guenther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
t_guenther
1995 ZJ 

Update: Does not really seem like a valve train issue any more. Through more expirements, I found that the problem is made worse by removing the number 2 spark plug wire (first plug wire on the front of the engine on the passenger side). Also, if I hold the brakes to load the engine and rev it up i do not here the knocking sound. Also the magic RPM range is between 1200 and 1800, anything above or below and the sound does not exist. Because sounds are so hard to trace, now it seems to me like it may be in timing chain area, or bell housing.

--95 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8--
Front/Rear Adj. Track Bar, 249 to 231 Swap, Tie rod conversion,
Hella 500's, Flowmaster 50 Series, Aussie Locker in the Rear,
31x10.5 BFG All-Terrains on 15x8 Pro Comp 97 Crawlers, 3" Lift
t_guenther is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.