98 ZJ 5.2 Engine Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ 5.2 Engine Problems

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 06-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
98DeepSlate
2003 WJ 

98 ZJ 5.2 Engine Problems

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Used to own an XJ, and spent a few years on CherokeeForum, and now I finally made the switch here when I traded in the XJ for my 98 ZJ.

Now, to the meat of the problem. I had noticed a small ticking or tapping sound coming from the area of the bell housing. Thinking it was the torque converter, I took it in to a local engine/transmission shop. They had it for a couple of days and ran diagnostics. When I got the results back, they stated that they believed the main bearings had worn, causing the cam shaft to slide into the flex plate which was grinding on the torque converter. I know a little bit about engines, and if it came to rebuilding I would attempt it. However, if replacing the bearings would fix the problem I would rather just do that. Just putting a feeler out to see if anyone has dealt with an issue like this before, and whether its worth rebuilding or just cutting ties with the jeep. Any advice is welcome and much appreciated. Thanks!

Jake

Unread 06-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

What kind of mileage is on the motor? Has it been cared for or abused?
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

It might just be the wording you used but none of what they told you makes sense. The main bearings are on the crank, not the cam. The cam has no way of sliding into the flex plate, at least in a way that would still allow the engine to work. The flex plate is bolted to both the crankshaft and the torque converter so neither of them can grind on each other.

A common tapping sound in that area on any motor is a starter bendix that isn't retracting all the way and you'll hear the flexplate tap against the starter gear. Usually a new starter or correct starter shims (older engines) will fix this. It could also be a cracked flexplate.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

Exactly my thoughts^^

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Kreeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
98DeepSlate
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881
It might just be the wording you used but none of what they told you makes sense. The main bearings are on the crank, not the cam. The cam has no way of sliding into the flex plate, at least in a way that would still allow the engine to work. The flex plate is bolted to both the crankshaft and the torque converter so neither of them can grind on each other.

A common tapping sound in that area on any motor is a starter bendix that isn't retracting all the way and you'll hear the flexplate tap against the starter gear. Usually a new starter or correct starter shims (older engines) will fix this. It could also be a cracked flexplate.
Thanks for replying! Part of it may have been my wording, I apologize. Looking back at the written diagnostics, they stated "engine has excessive thrust." And they believed the crank, not the cam was sliding into the flex plate. The weird thing about this sound is that when the transmission is placed in park or neutral the sound goes away.
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
98DeepSlate
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ
What kind of mileage is on the motor? Has it been cared for or abused?
It has 168000 on the clock, and while I have taken decent care of it, I bought it from a dealer a few years back so I'm not sure about its life before me. Thanks for responding!
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98DeepSlate View Post
Thanks for replying! Part of it may have been my wording, I apologize. Looking back at the written diagnostics, they stated "engine has excessive thrust." And they believed the crank, not the cam was sliding into the flex plate. The weird thing about this sound is that when the transmission is placed in park or neutral the sound goes away.
Again, the crankshaft and the flexplate and the torque converter are all bolted together so they can't physically slide into each other. Unless of course the bolts are working themselves loose. Which in that case it would be a cheap and easy fix.

The fact that it stops when in park or neutral is odd. So when stress is applied to the drive train you get a problem.

Check that all the bolts from the bell housing to the engine are tight, check that the bell housing itself isn't cracked. Also, and I can't remember off hand, if there are any supports from the engine to the trans that their bolts are tight.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
98DeepSlate
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881

Again, the crankshaft and the flexplate and the torque converter are all bolted together so they can't physically slide into each other. Unless of course the bolts are working themselves loose. Which in that case it would be a cheap and easy fix.

The fact that it stops when in park or neutral is odd. So when stress is applied to the drive train you get a problem.

Check that all the bolts from the bell housing to the engine are tight, check that the bell housing itself isn't cracked. Also, and I can't remember off hand, if there are any supports from the engine to the trans that their bolts are tight.
Thanks! I appreciate the ideas! I wanted to build it like I built my XJ but I don't want to sink money into it if this is a major issue.
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Just throwing it out there. Could it be an exhaust leak? That would cause a "small ticking noise".
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #10
sergio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ
Just throwing it out there. Could it be an exhaust leak? That would cause a "small ticking noise".
Exhaust manifold leak???
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
98DeepSlate
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio

Exhaust manifold leak???
I wondered about an exhaust leak too, but whatever it is, it goes away when the transmission is in park or neutral, and also seems to make the transmission try to slip the longer I drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.