'98 ZJ 4.0 stutter/misfire issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '98 ZJ 4.0 stutter/misfire issues

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
1941Galant
1998 ZJ 

'98 ZJ 4.0 stutter/misfire issues

Hey guys,

I'm having a little trouble with my ZJ, so I figured I would ask here before I start replacing parts. Occasionally my jeep runs a little rough. It sometimes happens, although not as bad when the jeep is first started. It only lasts a few seconds, and then fades away. The worst part is after the jeep is already warmed up and it is started. It runs fine for a few seconds, and as I pull out of the parking lot or whatever and head down the road the jeep will start sputtering/misfiring for about 3-4 seconds. Everything else seems fine with it, it has been happening for maybe a month now and didn't even give me any problems on my 1,300 mile trip two weeks ago.

Before my trip I replaced the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and the air filter. I'm still not too familar with this platform, but I am guessing my problem could be a fuel filter, O2 sensor, or maybe the map sensor. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Hill

1941Galant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

What plugs do you have?
Unread 08-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1941Galant View Post
Hey guys,

I'm having a little trouble with my ZJ, so I figured I would ask here before I start replacing parts. Occasionally my jeep runs a little rough. It sometimes happens, although not as bad when the jeep is first started. It only lasts a few seconds, and then fades away. The worst part is after the jeep is already warmed up and it is started. It runs fine for a few seconds, and as I pull out of the parking lot or whatever and head down the road the jeep will start sputtering/misfiring for about 3-4 seconds. Everything else seems fine with it, it has been happening for maybe a month now and didn't even give me any problems on my 1,300 mile trip two weeks ago.

Before my trip I replaced the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and the air filter. I'm still not too familar with this platform, but I am guessing my problem could be a fuel filter, O2 sensor, or maybe the map sensor. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Hill
Exact symptoms of a failing upstream O2 sensor. Replace with genuine Mopar sensor ONLY!!!!!! NO Bosch!!!! PM Kolak for best price on the sensor. If you want to be 101% certain that's your issue, just disconnect the sensor. You'll find your stumbling issues disappear. This problem only affects the 4.0 engines.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
1941Galant
1998 ZJ 

rooster51, I just picked up some regular old champion plugs, none of that 4 prong crap.

guthycs, thanks for the info, I'll send Koplak a PM later today.
1941Galant is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.