98 ZJ 105K @$2.5k? Any help before noon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 ZJ 105K @$2.5k? Any help before noon?

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
juliemorocho
1998 ZJ 

98 ZJ 105K @$2.5k? Any help before noon?

I have a chance at a 98 zj v6 4WL from a friends roommate. It hasn't been driven since summer and needs a new battery just to get it started i am told. Going over there around 1pm. Never had a jeep, but i had a 97 jimmy with all the time 4wd and that pos drained the blood out every dollar i threw at it. I know a bit more now than i did then, but coming from a straight no-bs outlook, with only 106k on it and a new fuel pump and recipts from the original and current owner, what are you guys ideas on making this happen?

HELP for TODAY: if we go get a battery, BAM, it whould just start up or are there some things to know about when starting a car sitting for that long? Anything specific i should look to see if it has had replaced or serviced at this point? I am a mopar girl to date with 3 neons, a lebaron, a pt cruiser on my sheet. I don't want to tarnish my happiness with my mopar tinted sunglasses. Please, give me some jeepy tips!!!

juliemorocho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

1. Not a v6, straight 6.
2. I would bring some good gas with you, along with maybe some star tron fuel stabilizer, because the gas is probably bad. Other than that and the battery, you should be good just to get it running. Make sure it has oil in it as well.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
melk
1996 ZJ 

Just Empty Every Pocket

She's a cruel mistress but you'll love her dearly even as you curse her out
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
GCjunkie93
1984 CJ7 

check all fluids and listen for odd noises when starting it. the 4.0 will last a very long time, so only 106k is a very good deal
GCjunkie93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

look underneath as well at the TC. if there is rust around the linkages, he/she prob didnt use the 4 wheel drive. and make sure its intact too. when i bought mine, the lever was undone and i didnt know if the 4 wheel drive worked. hope this helps. thanks
snappyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

When I didn't drive mine for 6 months it ran rough for a few days after I started driving again and probably should have had a tune up. 106k for 2.5 is a pretty good deal.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

Some Quirky things to look out for that maybe you can use as leverage to get the price down a little more:
1. The rear hatch latch. Try to open the rear hatch see if it opens the first shot or if you have to fiddle with it.
2. The rear hatch shocks. While you're back there see if the hatch stays up.
3. Also while back there i like to check and see if the spare tire has excessive wear. (may give you an idea of how well the previous owner took care of things. ie does it look like the spare was driven on for a an extended period of time)
4. check the bottom lip of the hatch for the first signs of rust. you should also check the front lip of the hood for some signs of rust.
5. Does the drivers door sag at all?
6. check the overhead console digital readout for the average MPG should be between 14-16 mpg. This isnt set in stone but a good reference. If its 10 or 11 mpg it should raise a red flag.
7. Look up and print out all of the error codes the ZJ throws, turn the key to the on then off position 3 times ending in the on position on the 3rd try keep an eye on the odometer it will start flashing codes, write them down and look them up on your printed list.
8. turn the lights on and push the dimmer switch to the brightest setting without turning the interior lights on then press around on the headlight switch housing to see if the dash lights flicker.
9. the fuse panel is in the passenger kick panel check for blown fuses.
10. take it for a drive and do some figure 8's in a parking lot with the wheel cut all the way. Does it bind?
11. check the front and rear swaybar link ends.
12. the downstream O2 sensor is in the Cat Converter... or Should be lol
13. check that all the lugs are on the wheels and its not missing or have a damaged stud.

Just some of the quirky things to look for on the ZJ i'm sure i missed a few out of the ordinary things. Feel free to chime in everyone lol.
JeepBeats96JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
KSJeeperTJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBeats96JGC View Post
Some Quirky things to look out for that maybe you can use as leverage to get the price down a little more:
1. The rear hatch latch. Try to open the rear hatch see if it opens the first shot or if you have to fiddle with it.
2. The rear hatch shocks. While you're back there see if the hatch stays up.
3. Also while back there i like to check and see if the spare tire has excessive wear. (may give you an idea of how well the previous owner took care of things. ie does it look like the spare was driven on for a an extended period of time)
4. check the bottom lip of the hatch for the first signs of rust. you should also check the front lip of the hood for some signs of rust.
5. Does the drivers door sag at all?
6. check the overhead console digital readout for the average MPG should be between 14-16 mpg. This isnt set in stone but a good reference. If its 10 or 11 mpg it should raise a red flag.
7. Look up and print out all of the error codes the ZJ throws, turn the key to the on then off position 3 times ending in the on position on the 3rd try keep an eye on the odometer it will start flashing codes, write them down and look them up on your printed list.
8. turn the lights on and push the dimmer switch to the brightest setting without turning the interior lights on then press around on the headlight switch housing to see if the dash lights flicker.
9. the fuse panel is in the passenger kick panel check for blown fuses.
10. take it for a drive and do some figure 8's in a parking lot with the wheel cut all the way. Does it bind?
11. check the front and rear swaybar link ends.
12. the downstream O2 sensor is in the Cat Converter... or Should be lol
13. check that all the lugs are on the wheels and its not missing or have a damaged stud.

Just some of the quirky things to look for on the ZJ i'm sure i missed a few out of the ordinary things. Feel free to chime in everyone lol.
Just FYI the key sequence in #7 hasn't worked on any of my 98's FWIW
98 Platinum 5.9 Limited (My DD); 98 Slate 5.9 Limited (Son's DD); 98 XJ Stock 4.0 Classic (Disappeard in the Middle of the Night); 97 TJ Sport 4.6L I6 Stroker, 4.5 in. Teraflex Long Arm, 35s (Sold), Detroit Rear; 89 XJ Stock 4.0 Laredo (Wife Totaled RIP); 85 CJ7 Basically Stock 4.2 (Sold); And a few others...
KSJeeperTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJeeperTJ View Post
Just FYI the key sequence in #7 hasn't worked on any of my 98's FWIW
My bad, i thought i read 96 lol. yea scratch the code idea.
JeepBeats96JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Nejeep

If you swap out the old battery there wont be any codes or mpg stored (ECU will be reset).
Be sure to ask why the vehicle was parked last summer (no funds to fix trany problems, noisy differentials, engine stalling, etc?)

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.