'98 transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '98 transmission problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
gbt102

'98 transmission problems

'98 GCLtd. 5.2 V8 - just got the evaporator core replaced and oil changed. Now, the transmission shifts at lower rpm and doesn't feel right when cruising on the highway - when I let go of the gas, the rpm drops down to about 1500 and it feels like something is holding the car back and keeping it from coasting (overdrive clutch maybe?). The steering wheel has also always shuddered at (and only at 55 mph - ???).

I thought maybe my transmission would act funny if they topped off my transmission fluid with the incorrect type, or they disconnected my battery to replace the evaporator core and reset the electronics that store information about the way I drive.

Any thoughts?

gbt102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
sniper0423
architecture steals my $

same thing on rpm drop

ive occasionally noticed the same drop on my 97 zj. mine feels like it was a manual transmission that you let off of the gas on. for the wobble, i had one at 47 and just had my tires balanced and that took care of it. try it if you bought your tires from some tires store, cause usually this is a freebie. let me know if you have any luck or find anything out about the rpm drop.
sniper0423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
gbt102

Yeah, I've been thinking more about it, and I am wondering if there's something wrong with the torque converter and the transmission isn't coming out of lockup properly, or maybe it's my throttle positioning sensor...good idea about the tire balance - makes sense if I only feel it at a specific speed - thanks.
gbt102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

How hard is it slowing you down. It should slow you down to a point, but not too much.

I would ask the shop what fluid they used. If they used Dextron, kick them in the jimmy. Have them flush it out and fill with ATF +3 or better yet, +4.
Unread 08-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
sniper0423
architecture steals my $

hey woody...i just changed my tranny fluid and filter and it has fixed the hard shift and drop in rpm for the most part ...still happens if you drive like you have a feather for a gas pedal like i do on the highway...but i refilled w/+4 and it is working like a charm
sniper0423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.