98 Transmission problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Transmission problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
BkBlack

98 Transmission problem?

I think my transmission is gone in my 98 jgc limited, on take off it doesn't wanna shift into gear right away. And today Im on the highway I got up to 65 then it started actin up, slowed down and wouldn't go pass 25. So I got it back to the house and now it won't back up, so what yal think?

BkBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Speedymcracer01

Well I've had mine act up at 65 before. It was a faulty wire shorting out my pcm that later blew my pcm fuse inside the pdc. Then later my transmission didn't want to shift again. I couldn't go past 25/35 mph. It had a ruff idle and wanted to die. That turned out to be a bad tps. After all this a year later my tranny started to slip and jerk, it didn't want to shift with out jerking back and forth between first and second. It did that until it did it pretty much with all the gears depending on what speed I was traveling at.That problem persisted for a week and kept getting worse. It would rev up in reverse for a few seconds before it would engage and move. Same thing would happen in drive. I was getting ready for a tranny when I decided to go a head and service it. " usually after they reach this point they don't run again for me". But I serviced it within 24 hrs of putting some none slip additive in the transmission. " worse idea ever I will never ever think about trying to use that crap ever again" but I serviced the transmission. I pulled the pan hit the pan with a rust cutting bit for the drill. The bit removed any rust, mud build up, and the old gasket off the pan. If any rust was removed I cleaned the out side again removed any more rust with sand paper and the rust cutting bit. Then I primed the pan with gray primer to prevent future rust. I cleaned the inside real good with shop rages the magnet didn't have much build up surprisingly . I replaced the filter with a new one, replaced the gasket and added new fluid. It help a lot, then a couple days later it started again. But I traced it down to a transmission coolant line hose clamp that popped loose after I replaced it. It has drove fine since. In the past two months it has started to jerk between 1st and 2 nd gear when going around a turn up hill, or just up a incline period.
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
BkBlack

Only thing mine doesn't jerk it just feels like it's not fully in gear, and like you said won't go pass 25 and won't back up now.
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
Speedymcracer01

Is the cel on? Is the the obdll throwing any codes?
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
BkBlack

Nope no codes, and I checked everything, I made a few calls and was told it might be 2 sensor and one said I might need my tranny rebuilt since it wont back up and they talkin 2Gs for that. Another spot will check it for free to see whats wrong, but its still the what will they find wrong and how much with that one.
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Speedymcracer01

My car is having the same exact problems. Its got codes for the torque converter, and a shift solenoid that has no pwer.
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
BkBlack

Did you already have it priced? I hope I dont need a whole new tranny.
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Speedymcracer01

The vehicle the tranny is acting up in. The torque converter is nearly $200 the shift solenoid is around $160. But I found a transmission for $275 for it. For me it's going to be cheaper to get the other tranny. After I get the other tranny i'm going to try getting the torque converter and solenoid in hopes that it will fix it so I'll have a back up
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Been driving my 95 ZJ on a $200 JY tranny for two years now. Works great.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.