98 Service Manual - cooling system question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Service Manual - cooling system question

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-07-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

98 Service Manual - cooling system question

Evening all,

Unfortunately I cannot find what I need in my 1997 factory service manual or parts guide, so I'd like to know if the information appears in the 1998 manual before I go out and spend money on it.

As you may have read from one of my earlier posts I'm about to swap out the clutch fan on my 5.2L 1997 ZJ. I bought a fan and shroud from a 98 ZJ 5.9L.

I'd like to see if the 1998 service manual shows the wiring diagram for the electric fan as well as fitment/placement of the thermal sensor, relays and such. I'm assuming since the 5.9 shipped with an electric fan that the information must appear in the FSM...but amazingly when I looked at a 1998 ZJ parts guide, the e-fan isn't even listed...so now I'm not so sure.

If you have a 1998 FSM, could you please let me know if the electric fan install and wiring is covered? I'd really appreciate it. That way I can know whether or not I should pick up a copy of the 98 FSM.

As an aside...I did read about the Taurus Electric Fan Conversion but I'm more interested in precisely how the factory wired the stock 5.9L ZJ e-fan.

Kind regards,

Joe Martins
Dublin, NH

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
RockPaws

Joe, The install and description of operation is covered, and wiring diagram.
Instead of buyingthe complete manual, you could purchase a subscription from alldata.com and print them.
I could also mail some copies, PM me if you want.

Frank
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Dang Joe, you do the coolest stuff!
I have been looking at putting some 5.9 bits and pieces on my Jeep as well. So if you were to document and post up the conversion, I would really appreciate you doing all the work!

Unread 01-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Thank you Warren,

I'm definitely planning to document these conversions and share them with the forum. Expect to see some stuff from me between now and March as I find the time to do the work.

The only problem folks might have is finding the 5.9 parts...I wrote to shops and salvage yards all over the country looking for 5.9 parts. It was over two months before I found the louvers, and another month-and-a-half to find the fan and shroud. But the cost savings over buying the items from the factory was huge. For the $400 factory louvers I paid $91 on eBay. And for the $270 fan with no shroud I paid $115 on eBay and got the shroud too.

But it's worth the wait. I read so many interesting and oftentimes ingenious solutions using non-Jeep parts. But then I thought well hell Jeep made a vehicle with the parts that I need....all I have to do is find the parts. Why rack my brains trying to fit a Taurus efan to a Jeep radiator--wondering how well it will work-- when I can get a fan and shroud made specifically for this application.

And my quest goes on....

By the way, Dave over a Davey's Jeeps in Ohio (DL2217@msn.com) has a 5.9 he's parting out right now as I write. He hasa complete set of door panels, the seats, tow hooks, rear diff, tranny, TC, engine parts, and the list goes on. Oh how badly I wanted the tranny and TC. But my wife would probably disown me. Which would mean no more . LOL

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.