98 Power distribution center fuse keeps blowing, please help. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Power distribution center fuse keeps blowing, please help.

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 08-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
Gold-n-AK
1996 ZJ 

*update* I was looking at my O2 sensors this morning to see if I could find any bare wires or chaffing etc. and didn't see anything obvious, until I got to the "downstream" sensor ( the one that is plugged into the back of the catalytic converter) and noticed there was a splice just before the plug. This splice was done a long time ago, probably by someone proir to my owning the Jeep. So my thought was to inspect the splice ( check the obvious stuff first ) and after I had unplugged the sensor and was inspecting the area where the splice is located, I saw a small exposed copper wire. So I started to clean the crud of the wire so I could wrap some electrical tape around the bare wire and the insulation just started crumbling, LUCKILY it was only between the splice and the connector (about a half inch or so ) and not the whole wire harness. After wrapping some tape on the bare wire, I plugged the connector back into the sensor - replaced the 20A fuse and crossed my fingers !!! Turned the key on and heard the fuel pump ramp up and stop after about three seconds or so ( good sign , because with the fuse blown the pump runs continuosly ) and turned the key all the way - She Started So with the Jeep running I quickly crawled back under it and started wiggling the wire harness to see if it would short out again, good news is it did not. I know my "fix" is only temporary so my Question is this " does anyone make replacement plug connectors so I can resplice this " ???

Gold-n-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #17
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

MIne did the same thing and yes it can fry a pcm. Bad thing was I had just had the O2 replaced at a shop and they broke the retaining clip holding the wires away from the shaft. That was a turning point for me that pushed me into doing my own work from then on.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
trailcreepers

Same Problem

Hello there, my wife has a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. One day after leaving a store, she was sitting at a red light and the engine died. After calling me to come get her, we ended up towing it home. I spent my free time trying to figure out what happened to this thing and found that the same F17 20A Fuse was fried. I replaced the fuse and she started right up. We went for a drive and found that the transmission would not shift right. When we got to a red light, it would start out in third gear and only go into 1st if I manually shifted to 1st. I tried finding info about this everywhere. The only codes I was getting from the computer says P0743 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid/Trans Relay. I tried replacing the relay to no avail. We finally hired a mobile mechanic to check it out. He found that there was a circuit that was not working from the PCM. He tore it down and found the wiring to be good, so it must have burnt up in the PCM. He then ran a jumper wire to where the relay is supposed to get/send power to/from. This instantly fixed the problem and made the ZJ shift through all gears smoother than it has in a while. So it looks like in our case that it is the PCM that has gone out for the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid/Trans Relay. He said it could be driven this way 'till I get around to changing the PCM. I can post a pic of the wire jump that he did if anyone needs it. Hope this helps.
trailcreepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Gold-n-AK
1996 ZJ 

FINALY back on the road ! I ended up having to replace the entire engine/emissions wire harness and replacing downstream and upstream 02 sensors. The wire harness I picked up from AMC 4x4 Salvage http://amc4x4.com/ for $100 - They had several of them, some still in vehicles and some already pulled in boxes. The one I bought was missing the headlight portion (wich I didn't need) but everything else was intact including the underhood power distribution center (fusebox). I hate having to fix pesky electrical problems especially ones that involve the amount of work this one did. After labeling each and every connector plug and fishing the darn thing out, I then had to transfer all the labels over to the replacement harness and fish everything back in. The hardest part was the tight space between the back of the engine and the firewall, not so bad when pulling - but replacing is the real bear ! I "wrapped" the harness with heavy construction paper making it like a tube that made it somewhat easier. I had to fish about 2" at a time pushing it down, then get under the Jeep and wiggle 2" (repeating several times ) but eventually managed to get it all worked through the tight spot without damaging anything. After reconnecting everything and replacing a few key parts while I was in there ( I HIGHLY RECOMMEND REPLACING THE WATER PUMP BYPASS HOSE FOR ONE) I replaced the 20A fuse and hooked up a new battery I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.... She started right up !!! after sitting for 8 mo. What a relief !!! I have been driving her for a week now and NO issues at all ( knock on wood) my intermittent check engine light is gone as well {code was high voltage on downstream 02} before all this happened. If you are getting that code DO NOT IGNORE IT LIKE I DID ! If you do , you are playing with a ticking time bomb ! SOOOOoooo happy to be Jeepin again !!!!!
Gold-n-AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.