98 Power distribution center fuse keeps blowing, please help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Power distribution center fuse keeps blowing, please help.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

98 Power distribution center fuse keeps blowing, please help.

Spoke too soon, not solved...

So I took my jetski to the lake today, after I launch I get out and unhook the trailer like I always do. As I step out of the car to undo the trailer my baby dies.

So I try and it will not start, I have a buddy crank and pull the wire off the ignition coil and there is no spark. Next I go to the fuse panel inside--all are good. Then to the fuse block in the engine compartment. There is a small fuse that keeps blowing--20 amp. It's on the side closest to the front of the car, and it is 20 amp fuse closest to the fuel pump relay.

I really do not know how else to describe it, the haynes and owners manual really only shed light on the fuse panel inside the car.

I tried upping it by 5amp (yeah yeah I know) and it still blew. So then against my better judgement I put a thin piece of speaker wire in there and crank over the beast. It starts right away and then the small piece of wire burns up and the car dies.

So clearly there is a hot wire but I do not know where or what this fuse even goes to.

Please, help?!

[Pics down below]

Last edited by bcollier1823; 05-29-2009 at 03:18 PM..
bcollier1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Well, the 1998 FSM seems to be giving me grief as far as searching for the power distribution center diagram goes. I tried, man. I'm going cross-eyed looking at pages flipping by trying to see a picture of the PDC.

I'll try again later.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

A few pics, you can see where the 20 amp fuse is s'posed to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Well, the 1998 FSM seems to be giving me grief as far as searching for the power distribution center diagram goes. I tried, man. I'm going cross-eyed looking at pages flipping by trying to see a picture of the PDC.

I'll try again later.
Hey thanks for tryin' anyways.
Unread 05-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Wow, thanks for the best pictures, of a problem area, that I may have ever seen ...

Nice work dawg !!!
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Wow, thanks for the best pictures, of a problem area, that I may have ever seen ...

Nice work dawg !!!
Couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not.

Anyways when I was at the lake I musta gone through a dozen fuses, towed her all the way home, did a bunch of research; found nothing. Went back outside decided to try one last time and viola--the prick works.

I just don't understand but I'm not gonna complain that she works now.
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

ok, after some searching, I came up with the following: that is F20 which is a 20A fuse which leads to the PCM, (things I think you already know) I found the following diagram in an undisclosed location (8W-30-10 for those following along with a FSM) for the PCM which offers a little bit of insight:

bcollier- shoot me a PM if you need another diagram- printing and scanning to convert to jpg so I can post as an image gets a little tiresome after a while.

Last edited by YJMCBoy; 05-29-2009 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: make the pic mo' biggah!
YJMCBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

So I got in my car today and after a bit of driving I pull into the driveway and car dies. God damn fuse blew again, errrrr. I replaced it and it blew, I waited 20 minutes then it worked again.

Any ideas as to what could cause this other than a grounded wire, faulty computer etc?

YJMCBoy thanks for the wiring diagram, I will see if that can help me.
Unread 05-29-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

That does indeed look like it is fuse F20. Current through F20 goes through the ASD relay and then on to a lot of other devices. However, that fuse blows most often when there is a short in one of the O2 sensor heaters. Check under your ZJ to see if any of the O2 sensor wires is rubbing against something metal like the exhaust pipe.

If that is not it, check the wire to the coil primary to see if it shorts out to something metal.
Unread 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
242forme
1977 CJ5 

What rm2001wj said, check for something rubbing on the wires for the oxygen sensors.
My '96 ZJ had the same problem, kept blowing the same fuse. On mine, the wires which ran to the rear oxygen sensors had sagged down & were rubbing on the driveshaft creating a short. I also read a few posts where people had the same problem(same fuse) and their wires to the front oxygen sensor were shorting out.
242forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
bcollier1823
1998 ZJ 

Love you guys. Sure enough the rear oxygen sensor wire above the drive shaft had worn through and was grounding. Back in business... til the next thing breaks.

Unread 05-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #11
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

good to know, nice job guys
Unread 05-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

"Couldn't tell if that was sarcasm or not."

No, I meant it. I could even read all the little numbers on your fuses.Often people are posting grainy cell phone
pics. and there is nothing wrong with that, but you broke out a real camera for those pics. .

Great pics. and great job of fixing it ... The troops really came threw for you on the fix, so I give them a great work guys too !!!

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
CMinor

Thankful!! Fuse kept blowing, many repairs, found answer

Not sure any of you will read it, but thanks to those that posted. My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee wouldn't start, had all kinds of weird problems--- the only thing in common was blowing that 20A fuse. After several repairs, read here that it might be the wiring harness at the O2 sensor. Sure enough... got under the car and saw the worn wire. Did the repair and FINALLY all the craziness stopped...truck is running like a dream.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CMinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
theblackjack69
1998 ZJ 

Quick question really sorry to revive a dead thread like this, but my tranny was shifting out of gear into neutral before dying even though the stick was still in drive, and then it would shut off. Would this have damaged my PCM any, or will it be OK?
theblackjack69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Gold-n-AK
1996 ZJ 

[QUOTE=bcollier1823;7310062]

A few pics, you can see where the 20 amp fuse is s'posed to go.

I am currently having the exact same problem, I've tried replacing the Oil pressure sensor - replace the fuse and it started right up. I drive it to work last Friday and BAM it dies again. Tried replacing Crank Positoin sensor ( wich did have an exposed wire ) replaced the fuse and it started right up. I thought I had the problem licked so I took it for a test drive today and BAM, it died again ! I replaced the fuse and it started only to die again 1/4 mi. down the road. tried replacing the fuse only to have it blow the second I turn the key (did this 4 times in a row) Now I am going to check my O2 sensors and see what I can find, Man this is frustrating !!!
Gold-n-AK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.