98 Niner Back On The Road - Many Thanks! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Niner Back On The Road - Many Thanks!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
98ZJOKC

98 Niner Back On The Road - Many Thanks!

Hello and thanks for all the help!

I've just finished getting a broken 98 niner back on the road. Purchased it for $600 because the transmission and suspension appeared to be broken. Thanks to all of the articles on this forum, I've been able to make it road ready again.

The transmission would not shift out of first gear. Based on advice I saw here, I removed the ?relay? for the transmission control unit and I found that I could manually shift gears which told me it was an electrical problem, not necessarily a mechanical one. Replaced the TPS and it was better, but still not reliable. Sometimes I would have to pull over and pull the relay and shift manually to make it home. So I replaced the output shaft sensor and WooHoo!! Smooth shifting - doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the transmission mechanically. KaChing!! Cost something like $40.

The suspension problems ended up being a combination of the rear wheel bearings and the rear track bar bushings. Felt like it was waggling its butt when making even the slightest turn. I ended up buying the parts from RockAuto and having a professional install them. That was 90% of the problem, but once it stopped waggling, I could tell there was something else wrong. Put a new set of tires on it and found out that 3 of the tires were one size and 1 was the original 225/70R16. Problem solved.

Plan on replacing the remainder of the suspension components over the next six months and letting my son drive it until he graduates high school (or college if it lasts that long).

98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
nickhay13
1998 ZJ 

That's awesome dude. Sounds like your due diligence paid off.
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

...It SHOULD last that long,,, so long as the SALT don't get to the frame...
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.9l , track bar , transmission , wheel bearings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.